Chapter 11

Chapter 11: Bad Man

Ann loaded groceries into her car parked at Biggie Bag-n-Save Big Mart. She had just set the last sack in the backseat when a car pulled into the space beside her. The expensive black Mercedes with dark tinted windows made her uneasy. When she reached to shut the rear door on her driver's side, she heard a window on the sleek car roll down.

"Hello, Mrs. Hackstetter."

She whirled around.

The greeting had been spoken by a pockmarked, silver-haired man sitting in the backseat of the vehicle. He was wearing glasses as dark as the tinted windows. Ann could see her reflection in the lenses. She was so stunned that she just stared at him like a simpleton before gasping, "How do you know my name?" She reached for her door handle, ready to jump into her car and make a hasty retreat.

"I'm not going to harm you. I just want to talk to you."

Ann glanced toward the entrance to the market wishing she'd parked closer. "I don't know you. What could you want to talk about with me?" Icy foreboding traveled up her spine.

"Your dead husband."

She gasped. "Wh-why?"

"He died owing me money."

"I-I can't help you. I don't have any money."

"Maybe you don't, but you know some very rich people. I've had you under surveillance."

"I don't know anyone." She edged closer to her door.

"Before you make a hasty exit, I suggest you consider the welfare of your son and new daughter-in-law."

A trembling began in Ann's body and fear froze her to the spot.

The man in the black business suit and dark glasses continued, "Your husband borrowed 25 G from me, and when I don't get paid on time, the amount doubles. Since he defaulted—death doesn't count—looks like you owe me 50 G. It took awhile to catch up with you, but rest assured, I'm not leaving until I get my money."

Ann tasted bile at the back of her throat.

"Now, Mrs. Hackstetter, just to make sure you follow through and pay me back, I'm gonna show you what will happen to Jacob and Julie if you don't have my money in one week." The horrid man lifted a photo.

Ann's stomach wretched and she grabbed her mouth to keep from throwing up. The man slowly lowered the picture. A slight smile creased his ugly face. "I knew that would get your attention. Now, listen close. I'm going to hand you a piece of paper with a bank account information. If the money isn't transferred into that account by..." he looked at his watch, "...two o'clock in exactly one week, rest assured I'll carry through with my threats. And if you go to the police, I'll know, because I have eyes everywhere. One peep out of you and what you saw in that photo will look like child's play. And your kids being out of town won't save them...or the old people in Alaska," he added. He lifted a gloved hand holding a folded slip of paper.

When Ann didn't move, he said menacingly, "Take it, Mrs. Hackstetter."

Concentrating all of her willpower on making her hand move, Ann slowly reached toward the open window. The bad man's hand darted out and shoved the paper into hers. His final words before the window ascended were, "It's been a pleasure doing business with you. After I receive the money, you'll receive a text message that says, 'paid in full.' That's your receipt. I am not a pleasant man, but I do keep my word. It's the best way to keep customers. You will never hear from me again after your husband's debt is paid."

The Mercedes pulled smoothly from its spot and exited the parking lot. Ann stared blankly at the paper and then mentally talked herself into her car. Open door...get in car...close door. Like an automaton, she stuck the paper in her purse, put the key in the ignition, started her car, and drove back to her cottage. When she pulled in front of her home, she couldn't remember driving there.

Inhaling gulping breaths, she raced from her car to her tiny front porch. After multiple tries, she finally got her key in the lock. As soon as she stepped inside her cottage she fell to the floor and sobbed. For the next hour she could do nothing but cry. Jerry, what have you done?

Eventually, she dragged herself into a seated position and leaned against the door. Think, Ann. Think. Slowly, her mind returned to reality. Should she go to the police? If she told Jackson or Sage, would they make her go to the police? One peep out of you and what you saw in that photo will look like child's play. I have eyes everywhere—the words echoed over and over.

She grasped the door handle and pulled herself up. Finally, her brain chugged and the niggling of a plan sprouted.

* * *

"Ann, are you feeling okay? You've been looking pale for a couple of days," Jackson asked, concern etching creases at the corners of his eyes.

Rather than pretend she was okay, she replied, "I've been feeling a little under the weather."

He lifted the basket of clean linens she was carrying. "I can put these away. You go home and rest and don't think about coming back until you're better."

Instead of arguing, she nodded, "Okay. That's probably for the best."

Back at her cottage, she pulled out the tablet in her nightstand drawer and reread the computer code she'd started writing the horrid day of the visit from the loan shark. Closing her eyes, she focused on what she'd been taught by experts and planned her strategy for hacking Jackson's bank accounts.