Chapter 7

Chapter 7: Changes

Sage watched Julie perform the last of her vaulting tricks with her horse, Precious Pudding. Every year the Lazy M Dude Ranch hosted a dozen children from his favorite charity, the Big Bro and Big Sis Organization, and put on a show. Seeing the joy it gave the kids, ranging in age from seven to seventeen, more than made up for the extra work. Remembering the campfire by the river the previous night made him smile. Most of the kids were city dwellers, so roasting hotdogs and toasting marshmallows was something they would remember the rest of their lives. Of course, listening to Newt's ghost stories wasn't something they would easily forget, either.

"Hey, mister." Sage felt a tug on his Levis and looked down at the youngest child of the bunch, seven year old Lester. He squatted beside the freckle-faced, copper-headed boy that asked at least twenty questions a day.

"Les, what can I do for ya?"

"Do you think I can be a cowboy when I grow up?"

Sage pushed back his Stetson. "I definitely think you can be a cowboy. In fact, I'm positive you'd be one of the best cowboys ever."

Lester grinned, showing off the gap where his front tooth used to be. "I kinda thought the same thing. Okay, I'll come back and work for you when I grow up."

Sage laughed and looked up at Lester's big bro, Orville. Orville joined in the laughter and scuffed Lester on his head. "Come on, cowboy, it's time to rustle up some lunch."

Sage stood and watched the children run toward the dorm and the feast Curley had prepared.

"Hi, Dad." Julie approached the railing of the corral while riding Precious Pudding.

"Hi, honey. The kids loved your performance. Do you feel ready for the Cortez Rodeo next week?"

"I do. Hey, Dad..."

Sage knew his daughter well enough to realize something was up when she said, "Hey, Dad..." He waited.

"I know I've told you this before, but thanks for the Alaska cruise."

"Sarah and I agreed that a cruise would be something special." He waited for her to speak what was really on her mind.

"I got a letter from Maude. You know, she's in her eighties and still goin' strong."

"Yeah, that woman is something else."

"Ah, she said their Alaska summer is beautiful this year. She, ah, invited Jacob and me to spend the warm months with her and Clyde.

"Do you want to?"

"You know I do."

"So what's the problem?"

"Jacob won't ask for the time off. He doesn't want to put you in a bind."

"Well, he's very important around here."

Julie looked disappointed.

Sage pushed back the brim of his Stetson. "But I could ask Jackson if he's got a ranch hand he could spare. He seems well situated."

Julie's eyes lit. "You mean it?"

"Of course I mean it. Hey, how can I deny my little girl and my son-in-law the opportunity to spend time with genuine twenty-first century gold prospectors?"

Julie grinned. "Thanks, Dad." She chewed her bottom lip. "Now I just have to find a way to let Jacob know I asked you, when he asked me not to."

Sage laughed, "Honey, I think you'll figure something out. When do you think you'll leave?"