Arc 1, Chapter 3

The Letter

Umbra squinted at the wrinkled piece of parchment, scanning his eyes across the sloppy handwriting.

I NEED A NECROMANCER!

It's an emergency. I need you to help me get my friend back.

If you can help, please warp to this location:

Below the words, a set of runes were scribbled down.

Victor's blue eyes shined. "I think I can do it!"

"No," was Umbra's simple, commanding answer.

The boy's shoulders slumped. "What? Why not?"

Umbra jabbed his pointer finger onto the hastily written runes. "I don't recognize the address."

"But Dad! This could be the practice I need to show how I've improved in my necromancy!" Victor smiled slyly. "You did always say I needed to demonstrate it in the field."

"I meant for you to use your powers on a goldfish that died or something! Not for something serious like this!" Umbra retorted, crossing his arms.

"The person that wrote the letter didn't really specify what their friend was. So, you never know, it could be a goldfish..." Victor said, smiling innocently.

Umbra leaned against the wall, closing his eyes and sighing. "Do you really think you're ready for this? I'm not sure I'm comfortable taking you to some unknown location just so you could use your powers. It could be dangerous, Victor."

Victor wrapped his arms around Umbra's chest, embracing him in a tight hug. "So? Even if it is dangerous, you are too. You'll protect me with your spears!"

Umbra patted Victor's hair, shaking his head. "I guess you've got a point. And, for the record, I don't use spears. I use the naginata and war scythe, dear."

"So...does that mean we can go?" Victor said, looking up at his father hopefully.

Umbra rolled his eyes. "I guess. But, if I feel it's too dangerous, we're teleporting straight home."

"Yes!" Victor exclaimed, standing on his toes to kiss Umbra on the cheek.

"But first we are going home and eating. I'm starving." Umbra grumbled, peeling Victor off him and closing his eyes. He whispered a spell under his breath, stomping his foot on the ground. A large blue symbol illuminated beneath him, and he held out his hand. A long war scythe formed in his clenched palm, its lethal metal blade shining in the magically induced light.

Victor gasped in awe. "Ooh! A blade on stick!"

"War scythe, dear, war scythe." Umbra said nonchalantly, giving the pole arm a few swings to warm himself up.

The weapon was unlike the amateur scythe that farmers had used in the times of old. The pole was long and sturdy, with a cast iron tip on the end. Instead of jutting out horizontally, the blade was rotated so that it was vertical, thus increasing the reach and deadliness of the weapon.

"Sir!" an officer in the station snapped, stomping towards him from across the room. "Weapons are not allowed here! Put that thing away!"

The pleasure that the war scythe had brought Umbra quickly faded. "I'm just going to cut a portal, alright?" Before the officer had anytime to reply, Umbra sliced rapidly through the air, spelling out their home address in the language of magic. A swirling portal cracked open, and Umbra shoved Victor in.

Umbra offered the officer a slight bow, waving goodbye as he stepped elegantly into the vortex.

Author's Notes- I like blades weapons, okay?! I'm kinda a nut about them...

So, about the war scythe. You see, scythes in real life don't work like they do in Soul Eater. A farmer's scythe (the one seen pretty much all the time) is a completely impractical weapon. The cutting end is facing towards you, not the opponent. And then there's the fact that the range sucks because the blade points inward. The war scythe pretty much fixes these issues. Plus, it looks cool.

And now you know.