Arc 1, Chapter 24

The Zombie

Several morbid seconds ticked by at a snail's pace as Aunora gaped at the arrow protruding from her chest. She suddenly dropped to her knees, her eyes dull and shoulders slumped.

"Aunora!" Esper screamed, falling to the ground beside her and supporting her with his arm.

In the blink of an eye, Umbra tossed Victor off his back, summoning his sword and standing protectively over the boy. His breath was ragged, the shock of Aunora's attack startling him to the core.

Out of the bushes, a lone naga slithered into the sunlight, wielding a bow and a quiver full of arrows. Umbra quickly recognized the blue-scaled naga as Kemah, one of the creatures that assisted in his and Victor's capture.

"Well, well, well. Look who I've stumbled upon." Kemah rested his hand on his hip, sneering. "I wasn't even aware that you escaped. I was just out hunting, and it seems I've found some nice prey."

Umbra growled, putting himself between the muscular naga and the rest of his group. He carefully slowed down his breathing, wanting to make sure he was in prime condition to fight. Esper's healing spell had filled him with new vigor, making him feel like he could actually engage Kemah and win.

Umbra spared no time, lunging at Kemah before he had the chance to notch another deadly arrow. Kemah cast down his bow, dodging the sword swipe and punching Umbra's exposed stomach. Umbra ignored the sharp pain radiating through his torso, sinking his blade through Kemah's chest.

He yanked the flamberge out of Kemah's body, grunting with exertion. The rippled blade did massive damage to the naga, leaving a jagged, gruesome wound. Kemah fell to the forest floor, landing on top of his bow and leaking blood all over the leaf litter.

Umbra tossed his sword, the violet blade dissolving before it hit the ground. He knelt beside Esper, who was whimpering and touching Aunora's face. Victor crawled to his side, wrapping around his arm.

"Can you heal her?" Umbra whispered, rubbing Esper's shoulder.

"It wouldn't do any good..." Esper said, pushing away a lock of Aunora's hair and sighing. "That arrow hit her in the heart. She's dead."

Umbra bit his lip, gazing down at the corpse in a blunted sense of shock. He found it hard to believe that the boisterous and vigorous girl had fallen, but there was no mistaking it. Her eyes were wide open, unblinking and still locked in her final look of astonishment. The front of her shirt was dark with blood stains, and the arrow was still stuck firmly in her chest. A fine trail of crimson streamed from her mouth, dripping steadily off her chin.

"I'm...I'm so sorry." Umbra said quietly, gently patting Esper's back.

"There has to be something you can do; it can't end like this!" Esper gasped, grabbing Umbra and shaking him by the shoulders. "I've waited for so long to finally see her again...and now she's dead! Please! Please..." Letting go of Aunora's corpse, Esper fell onto Umbra, burying his head in the man's chest and sobbing. With half of his face concealed, Umbra wasn't even sure if tears were falling from Esper's eyes, but he was going through the motions of crying, chest heaving and face contorted in grief.

Beside him, Victor looked stiff and awkward. His gaze was locked on Aunora's dead body, like he was confused at the fact that she was deceased. Still regarding the corpse, Victor cautiously tugged on his father's sleeve.

"Dad," Victor murmured, his voice raspy. "I-I think I may be able to help..."

Esper suddenly perked up, touching Victor's hand and leaning towards him. "Y-you think you can? Ah, thank goodness!" Esper forced a wide smile, wrapping Victor in a hug.