Arc 1, Chapter 5

The Teleporting

Umbra carefully adjusted Victor's coat, tying the black cravat around his neck. He pinned the skull charm onto the silk fabric, and then patted Victor's shoulder, satisfied.

"I believe everything is in order. Are you ready to leave?" Umbra said, tossing Victor's necromancy bag over his shoulder.

His son shot him a bitter look. "I've been ready for like an hour, dad." he rolled his eyes. "You had to take the extra time to make sure your hair looked good."

Umbra's hands instinctively went to his perfectly styled hair, touching it gently. "I didn't do that the entire time, dear. I also had to pack my own belongings in your handy bag." He patted the bag, seemingly delighted with himself.

"Ah, but that's beside the matter, I'll cut the portal." Umbra chimed, closing his eyes and holding out his hand. Blue symbols shined on the floor underneath him, and a long sword formed in his hand.

The flamberge that Umbra held was a majestic specimen, and from end to end it was around four feet long. Its colored blade was wavy, resembling a wild purple flame. The hilt was incrusted with a several violet stones, making the sword seem more elegant and refined, mirroring its wielder.

"Victor," Umbra warned, growing serious. "I want you to stay by my side, understand? I don't want you running off on your own and getting lost. I can only protect you if I'm near you."

Victor nodded, biting his lip. He wrapped his arms around Umbra's chest, hugging him tight.

Umbra swallowed dryly, reaching into his vest pocket and pulling out the folded request letter. He studied the runes scribbled at the bottom of the page, and then he tenderly returned the letter to his resting place.

He steadied his arms, hoping the sweat that was gathering in the pits of his palms wouldn't affect his sword wielding ability.

"Get ready, Victor." Umbra whispered, tension running thick as the tall man slashed through the air, cutting the arcane script to summon the portal.

The crackling vortex ripped open before the father and son, tousling Victor's night-black hair.

Umbra noticed that Victor's pupils had shrunken to pinpricks, and he felt the boy's short fingernails digging into his clothing. He's scared out of his mind, Umbra thought, concern blooming within.

The man wrapped his arm around his son, trying to quell his panic. "Are you sure you still want to do this?" he said quietly.

Victor looked up, wide eyes narrowing with a faint hint of bravery. "Yes, dad. I can do this."

Umbra nodded, taking a deep breath and grabbing their supplies. Together, they stepped into the portal.

Author's Note- And the plot beings ;)

About the flamberge: this Scottish sword has an interesting, tricky design. It's blade is rippled, making it resemble a flame, hence the name 'flamberge'. Those ripples cause a horrid vibration when another blade collides with it, which numbs the opponent's arm and makes them drop their sword. Also, due to being uneven, the flamberge leaves a nasty wound.