Arc 1, Chapter 4

The Homecoming

With a flash, Victor appeared out of mid-air. Dazed, he dropped to the ground, flat on his face. Inches beside him, Umbra arrived, landing sturdily on his feet.

Umbra crouched down, hoisting up Victor by his armpits. Once he found his son in a satisfying standing position, he began adjusting and straightening the boy's clothing.

"Ugh, I forgot how horrible teleporting felt..." Victor muttered, trying to squirm away from Umbra, who was messing with his cravat.

"You get used to it, I promise. The vertigo quickly fades once you get older." Umbra murmured, walking up to the front door of their house.

The house before them looked surprisingly old, with weather-beaten black wooden panels. The ominous, unsettling appearance to their home made it deeply resemble the stereotypical 'haunted house'.

Umbra pulled a key out of his pocket, unlocking the door and letting Victor in. Victor immediately rushed upstairs, pulling off his coat and pants in the process.

"Victor!" Umbra snapped. "Take off your shoes before you run around on the carpet- ah, forget it." He rolled his eyes, pulling off his shoes and neatly sitting them beside the front door.

Running his fingers through his hair, Umbra went to work.

First, he browsed his situation. I'm making brunch, he thought to himself, rubbing his chin. So my normal breakfast menu won't quite fit.

He tossed the grocery bag he had been carrying onto the counter, fishing through it to retrieve a fresh loaf of bread. He opened the plastic bag, withdrawing two slices of bread.

He placed the bread on a plate, and then turned to the refrigerator. He pulled out several eggs, sitting them on the counter and getting out a bowl.

Humming to himself, Umbra cracked the eggs and fixed a splendid batter for homemade French toast. He gleefully saturated the bread in the eggy liquid, and then he tossed them in a waiting pan on the cook top.

Umbra then focused his attention on fixing the next portion of their brunch: the fruit.

Moving with a certain rhythmic grace, Umbra grabbed a few apples and bananas. He placed them on a wooden cutting board, pulling out a butcher knife from a thick wooden block.

He began slicing up the fruit, putting the slices on two plates. Once he was satisfied, Umbra tossed the scraps in the garbage can.

The pleasant smell of French toast told Umbra that the rest of his meal was finished cooking. He glided to the sizzling pan, cutting off the heat and placing the hot slices of bread next to the fruit.

Umbra grabbed both of the plates, sitting them on the kitchen island, in front of the bar stools where he and his son would sit. He also fixed two glasses of cold juice, placing them next to the plates in a neat, orderly, and symmetrical fashion.

Clasping his hands with satisfaction, Umbra turned his head towards the stairs. "Victor!" he called, "Brunch is ready!"

Seconds later, the boy sprinted down the stairs, a large bag slung over his shoulder. He sat down heavily on one of the stools, tossing the bag down on the countertop.

Umbra eyed Victor critically. He had completely changed his outfit, now wearing a black t-shirt with a skull on it and a pair of basketball shorts.

As Umbra sat down next to him, he murmured quietly, "I hope you know you're not going wear that in public, right?"

Victor frowned, bitterly poking at his French toast. "Why do I have to wear such fancy clothing everywhere? I swear we're like the only people in America who put on formal attire to go to the grocery store."

"Victor, that is because you and I are gentlemen, and gentlemen are very hard to find these days. Formal clothing makes you look professional and respectable. Now, please, stop stabbing your toast and start eating it." Umbra said kindly, plucking an apple slice in his mouth.

Victor mumbled incoherently, but didn't make any other argument to his father's point.

"So," Umbra said casually, "what's with the bag?"

Victor perked up a bit, patting his hand on the bag. "Oh, that's what I am carrying when we leave for the request letter's location. It's got necromancy supplies and my spell book."

"Good to see you're being responsible, dear." Umbra paused, blinking. "Oh! That reminds me. I need to bring sunscreen."

Victor rolled his eyes, cheeks flushing red. "Dad, that's embarrassing! Why do you always think I need sunscreen everywhere I go? I mean, I've never seen you use it!"

Umbra drummed the counter with his fingernails, laughing uncomfortably. "Victor, I really didn't want to bring this up, but you're very, very white. Your pasty skin will burn before you know it."

Victor opened his mouth to say something, but he couldn't think of a clear reason why he wouldn't burn in the sun like an egg on a hot sidewalk. He sighed, shoving a large bite of French toast in his mouth.

Umbra wrapped his arm around his child, patting him on the head. "Cheer up, Vic. After brunch is over we can finally leave for that 'necromancy field trip' you wanted to go on."