Arc 1, Chapter 11

The Sender

Squinting into the wider room, Umbra saw that there was a young lady, probably around seventeen or eighteen, chained to the wall.

Her hair was dark green, like kelp, and her eyes were blazing red. She wore a tattered purple shirt and a grey skirt, with combat boots covering her feet. Her skin was a corpse-like tone, unnatural to any normal human being.

"And who are you?" Umbra said, glaring.

The girl shifted in her sitting position, stretching her legs out. "I'm Aunora. Now, will you please tell what kind of crazy light show I just witnessed? I've never seen any fire spells like that..."

Umbra relaxed his head on stones behind him. "That wasn't a fire spell- it was necromancy. Spirit flames, to be exact."

Aunora's eyes went wide. "Wait...you guys are necromancers?!" She looked suspicious. "You're not screwing with me, right?"

"I have no affinity for necromancy, that's my son Victor's skill." Umbra nodded at the unconscious boy. "And, no, I am not 'screwing' with you." He added in a snobbish tone, tilting his head up at her to sneer.

Aunora let out a sigh. "So I guess my letter did reach the right people..."

Umbra jerked upright, staring at the girl, mouth agape. "Letter?! You're the person who got us into this disaster?!"

"Yeah, I totally posted it a couple weeks ago. Then, um, some unfortunate crap happened, and here I am now."

"Victor!" Umbra snapped, sweat cold on his neck. "Wake up! This is important!"

The boy's eyes shot open, and he looked around in shock. "What's going on?!" he squeaked, staring at Umbra fearfully.

Umbra nodded his head at Aunora, looking bitter. "That's the person who sent that stupid request letter."

Victor's eyes shined and he gazed at Aunora with enthusiasm.

"Yo," the girl greeted. "Name's Aunora."

Victor didn't return her informal hello. Instead, he darted his eyes between Umbra and Aunora, looking confused.

"What's wrong with the kid?" Aunora said crudely, squinting at Umbra. "He got a staring problem or something?"

Umbra groaned, frustrated with the mysterious girl and her lack of formality. "No, Victor doesn't have a 'staring problem', he has a speaking problem. He only talks to a few select people and you are not included."

Aunora shrugged. "Aw, well." She started laughing, a wicked smile on her face. "I just think it's pretty funny that we all managed to end up in the same dungeon. Isn't that crazy?"

Hot rage boiled in Umbra's veins, but his classy personality forced him to swallow it down. "Can you just tell us why you need Victor's powers? I'd really like to at least get that off of our plate."

Aunora cringed. "Oh, yeah...that. You see, it's a pretty weird story, because I don't really need the necromancy..."

Umbra's pupils turned to pinpricks, and if looks could kill, Aunora would have been very dead. "Then why did you call for a necromancer?!"

Aunora sighed. "I've got to start from the very beginning, or none of it will really make any sense."

Author's Note- And the plot thickens!