Chapter Seventeen- Just Curious

FINALLY. Sorry for the wait, you guys. Life's rough, but what can you do about it?

I know its been a while, so I'll try and make this short.

3K Subscribers/Followers!! AHH. That's so flattering and amazing and ahhhh. PLUS 2 million reads. Need I say any more? <3

Okay, and if y'all haven't noticed, there's a new and improved and amazing cover! courtesy of asterism! (: (She also made the previous cover, if y'all were wondering.)

Okay, moving on! I hope y'all like it! Things are going to be moving further, plotwise, from this chapter on. Let's do this thing. (;

Enjoy! <3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter Seventeen- Just Curious

Charlotte Everley

                I honestly didn’t understand.

                The first day of school had gone by with the same stares and whispers throughout the day, and so had the rest of the week, but that wasn’t it.

                Ryder, Cole, and Blake had become friends. That’s right. Friends. I felt like I missed out on something, because this rapid change; from nearly starting a fight in the hallway to becoming friends, was all very hard to wrap my head around. Even Stella was confused, and that was saying something.

                In that week, the fictitious rumor of Ryder and I being a ‘thing’ hadn’t changed, surprisingly. Now, people thought we were ‘secretly dating’. Tell me, isn’t that as ridiculous as it sounds?

“Cole!” I felt my body leap forward to the direction where Cole had just walked by. He didn’t stop, and that sole action made my heart twist. “Wait, Cole!” My walking sped up to catch up to him.

                I asked my Homeroom teacher to go to the restroom, but once I saw Cole I felt like I needed to talk to him; to find out what exactly was going on. Something told me that I shouldn’t have this feeling, but the majority of me shoved that voice away as I put a hand on Cole’s arm, restraining him from moving any further.

                “Cole,” I breathed out. “Can we talk?” He angled his body towards me then, his expression so..expressionless, it hurt.

                “About what?” He said.

                “You know what,” I said, my voice now harsh. “Why is it that last week you were telling Stella and me to stay away from Blake and now Ryder and you both are all ‘buddy buddy’ with him?” When he didn’t respond, I continued. “Tell me how that makes any sense.” He let out a sigh, and then his whole body sagged to the slightest degree. He turned his gaze away from me before speaking.

                “Just leave it, okay?” Shrugging out of my hold on his arm, he continued to walk in the direction he’d been going in, leaving me confused in the middle of the hallway.

                “Hey Stell,” I said, my voice level. “Why is Blake so bad?” She paused for a moment, throwing me a glance before she continued to eat her chicken salad.

                “Rumor has it that he’s in a gang.” Brittany, a friend since middle school, piped in.

                “I heard he stole a police car, crashed it, and survived—just for the thrill.” Thomas said. I chuckled at the awe in Thomas’ voice. One by one, the people at our lunch table started to speak about the infamous Blake Stone.