Chapter Twenty- Detours

Late, I know ): I apologize, guys. 

But, on the otherhand, I hope yall like this chapter. (And the cover on the side that BehindTheCurtain made for me--aint it amazing?!)

ALSO- 40K VOTES. HOLY COW. I love yall so much. (:

But anyways, the usual. Vote/Comment if you like it, and please excuse any mistakes I might have made. I'm saving editing for until I'm completely done with this story. 

Ps. Guess which movie I'm talking about in this chapter?

Enjoy<3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter Twenty- Detours

Charlotte Everley

                Life is complex in a numerous amount of ways. For certain, lucky people, it can be filled with happiness and, well, life. But for others, it could be filled with, again, the word life, just with a whole new, sorrow-filled meaning.

                Another well-known fact about life—it isn’t fair. That’s exact the thought that went through my mind as I looked at a heartbroken Jade lying in the midst of a sea of used tissues. My gaze flickered to Harriet’s angered yet saddened stare and felt my frown deepen. But, turning back to Jade, I felt my smile come back, almost forcefully.

                “Jade—,”

                “They didn’t come back.” Jade said, hiccupping all the while. I felt my forced smile deflate in the slightest.

                “You never know, Jade, they might just be—,”

                “Stop.” She interrupted softly. She turned her face towards the side of her room that seemed to go untouched by her collage-making hands. The entire wall was a blank white, as opposed to the other three that were covered in collages she’d made by scrapping up magazines. “I-I think I need some time alone.” I glanced at Harriet. “Please.” She said, her voice now subdued to a whisper.

                “What happened?” I asked, once Harriet and I were in her study. Harriet placed her face into her hands and sighed.

                Without looking at me, she said, “The Franks.”

                “They didn’t..”

                “No,” She pulled her hands away from her face, looking like she’d aged ten years. “They didn’t. Somehow all their contact information leads me to nowhere—it’s always going to voicemail or a dead end. I-I just..” Harriet looked helplessly at her desk. I looked at the hardwood floor beneath me and swallowed, trying to keep my emotions at bay.

                “So close.” She said, her voice small. “Jade was so close.” I swallowed again, thinking of the bright and positive personality that Jade always wore on her sleeve, to be crushed another time by a failed adoption.

                Why her? I screamed in my thoughts.

                But life was like that. It wasn’t fair.

*****

                “Pinkberry’s in fifteen?” I texted. When Stella texted back with an affirmative response, I felt myself get out of the spot I’d been sitting at for a few hours and numbly reach for my things. Walking out of my room and down the stairs, I felt myself stop by my father’s study. I stood there and looked at the grand door, my mind filling with a variety of thoughts; thoughts that began to mix in with what had happened at the orphanage.