Chapter Five- Meeting the Johnsons

A/N: Okay, so this chapter is WAYY longer. I really like this chapter(: Please forgive any spelling/gramatical errors..

OH! And school has already started for me! It's bittersweet(; But that means that updates won't be as frequent--be sure to vote, comment, etc if yall really want me to update! that encourages me a bunch ahahh(:

otherwise...ENJOYYY

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 5- Meeting the Johnsons

Charlotte Everley

"We're going to the White House for dinner." I blink, my hand on the door knob tightening for a millisecond before letting it go. Well, he certainly knows how to cut to the chase. I think sarcastically. My sarcasm quickly fades as I realize that I was in my father's study; his large, mahogany bookshelves and desk surrounding me.

Seeing the man in front of me, I hardly recognized him as the same father ten years ago. His face, though handsome, held an engrained stoic expression as he continued writing on a piece of paper. He didn't even glance up once.

"Okay.." I trail off after a moment silence. I swallow, suddenly fighting back tears from all the memories of my childhood. The good and the bad. "Is that all?"

He looks up at me, and I see his face flicker with emotion before he returns to his stoic expression. Then he scowls.

"Put your hair up for the dinner." He says, his eyebrows knit together in an angry 'V'. "And dress conservatively. I don't want Nate to think I raised a loose daughter." Then, as if he didn't say a word, his gaze drops back down to his papers, silently dismissing me.

Did he just call me a... My thought trails off in my head. No..who calls their own daughter that? I blink rapidly, but it doesn't work. One tear trickles down my cheek, landing on the hardwood floor beneath my feet. A sob is stuck in my throat as I try to leave the room quietly; the click of the door signifying my exit. I stand outside for a moment, gathering my thoughts. I start walking in a daze as memories pop into my mind unwillingly, making my tears descend down at a quicker pace.

"I'll always love you. Both of you." Her eyes glistened with unshed tears as she stroked my cheek with her gentle hand. "No matter what-never forget that." She smiles weakly, perspiration beading on the top of her mouth. Her eyes examine my face, as if engraving it into her memory. She says her next words wistfully as her sky blue eyes stared straight into mine.

"My sunshine girl."

My eyes blurred, the stairs, the furniture around me suddenly turning into unrecognizable shapes as my mind continued to be bombarded with memories of the past.

"Why did you do it?!" He yelled, his pulse on his throat straining. "Of all things, of all places!" Then he starts pacing rapidly on the hardwood floor, his steps rushed and loud. I stand, my breath shaky and my cheeks soaked as I tentatively reached out to stop him.

"Da-," He whipped his body around, hitting my forearm away from him. I flinched at the sudden movement, falling to the floor in shock. I look up at him, my eyes once again filling with salty tears. His flaming grey eyes pierce into mine, causing me to recoil from his glare.

"If it weren't for you..." His eyes narrow as he trails off, becoming an even darker shade of grey; like the sky before a benevolent tornado. He scowls viciously. "It's all your fault." He spits out. "All your fault!"