Two marks

The Star Bridge Tea Lounge was a small and square room below a clock face. The walls and floor were uncovered wood, and in some places you could see the insulation between cracks in the wall. There were a couple people already in here, drinking or else reading a book or playing some sort of game with tokens and cards.

It was Moll who was waiting for me by the window. There was a chair directly across from her, and I sat down before greeting her.

"Moll Manly."

"Ni...chael, is it?"

"Correct." I did not mind her using my name, oddly enough.

Moll had an odd sort of body shape, one I deemed to be relatively unnatural- her stomach sort of ballooned with a precise curve, but her gut and lower chest were more of less flat. Her whole body lacked anything for curves, and her shoulders were much broader than her hips. Her legs, meanwhile, were short and heavy. I liked how she looked, like a mix of Cassiel's strength with Victory's feminine softness. She also looked like she could carry many heavy objects at once.

"I gave birth two weeks ago." She said. Her face was absolutely covered in freckles that were almost black on her dark brown skin.

I guess I had been staring at her for too long. "I'm sorry to hear that." I said without thinking. After a few moments I recalled what giving birth was, and I corrected myself accordingly. "Congratulations."

"I've been feeling like that too." She said with a mouth that couldn't settle on a smile or a frown. "Why did you have Stacy arrange a meeting with me? What is it that you want?"

"You, of course."

She scrunched up her nose. "You birds, all the same."

"Did I say it wrong?" I did not understand. I simply wanted to talk to her. She looked so welcome among all these demons- had my language been unclear?

"Oh, no, your point was very clear- you just have poor speaking skills. I've seen it before, unfortunately." She sighed. "You wanted to speak to me first though, yes? You think I look homely, or familiar, yes?"

"Yes." I urged. "Very much so."

"Leave me alone after this then. Every angel that's had the pleasure of meeting me has told me the same things, over and over again. What is wrong with you creatures? Why can't you leave me alone?"

She was visibly quite angry about it. "I don't have any ill-intent towards you."

"No, you don't. In fact, you only have the kindest of feelings." She took a sip of tea. "If Stacy hadn't instructed me to stay with you as long as you wanted, I would get up and leave right about now."

"Why does he get to boss you around like that?"

"We all owe debt to Stacy. Or most of us, at least." She finished her cup and banged it on the table hard enough that I feared breakage. "You will too, before long. So tell me, Nichael, do you have any questions for me? Or are you more a gawker?"

My mouth had fallen slightly open, and feeling stupid, I shut it tightly. "Nothing much."

"I love leading these things. Alright. What non-confidential information can you share on why you came to this lovely city?"

"Work." I shrugged. "Heavenly."

"Figures. You have any hobbies? Pets? Friends?"

"No. No. Two."

"What an exhilarating date this is shaping up to be." I did not enjoy her sarcasm, but it seemed to be an enchanting trait for her to have. I had to remind myself to keep steady though- she was the Aries of Hell.