31: Faith without bounds

I came to Pride with a steady heartbeat, but my head still felt heavy. Michael was going to kill me.

Life had been so different not long ago.

I had killed my sister seven months ago.

Three months previous to that, I hadn't even known I had a sister- or wait, scratch that. I had learned that fact the day she had died. It was better to say that ten months ago, there was no reason for me to think of the name Tegan as anytime but a meaningless sound- one that surely wouldn't cause me sorrow.

I hadn't lasted a year. In theory, there was some way I could live through tomorrow. But only with help, I was sure, and even after that the next two months were unlikely leave me unscratched. And that was assuming I didn't drop dead any moment now.

I walked stiffly through Pride, like I had forgotten exactly how to move, and like any one of the demons around me posed a threat. And I guess now was the time where they actually did.

I didn't head to church because, well, it was only night. Lil had been on her own for just a day, and I didn't want to reappear and take that away from her now. If I needed her, I'd come for her. If I needed the cult- well. Maybe she wouldn't have to know about that.

Instead I sought out Stacy, figuring if anyone ought to know the angels were going to attack Hell, it was the one guy who was going to be fine with that fact. The only place I knew for sure he could be was his office back in the Caspar building, but the rest of The Few were likely to be there as well. It was too risky.

But hey, I always was an idiot when it came to taking risks. I headed right through the square, a place that should have brought me fear, and went right past a particularly concerned receptionist.

I shared the elevator with a nervous woman who kept eyeing my legs. When she got off a few floors up, I bent over and examined them- the skin below my left knee was a sore sort of red, and there was a small red dot like a mosquito bite above it.

That wasn't too good. But it wasn't anything I could prevent, so I kept moving until I came to Stacy's office. Then I went back again to one of the conference rooms I had passed, as I could see Moll Manly speaking to a few gathered demons. I don't know what about. She had some sort of presentation projected on the wall about numbers.

I walked in. "Hi. Can I talk to you?" Any time I saw her I became entirely unpredictable, and I hated myself for it.

She didn't jump when she turned around to see me. "Didn't we kill you?"

"You indadvertedly came pretty close, but no, not yet."

"I'll contact security then."

"Moll, please? I just need to check up on a few things. Last time I'll talk, I promise."

"No."

"Come on! I think I figured why angels are so crazy about you. That's gotta pique your interest."

"No."

"I also stole your children."

The demons in the room had seemed slightly worried and confused with our conversation previous, but now the five faces- all turned towards me- just looked concerned. I think they were feeling fear.

"Just kidding!" I said, laughing painfully, and no one believed it.

"My daughters are still missing. They refused to tell me why. But this makes enough sense for me."

"Ha! Yes. Uh. Okay, so I did take them, but they're both alive and in good condition, so you don't have to worry. They're probably safer now then they were here in Hell." I shrugged. "Uh. I'll kill everyone in this room if they try to call security on me by the way."