Chapter Eleven- Breaking

After felt like an eternity Jackson and I were both finally freed from having to shake hands with arriving guests. The party was rolling into its peak and was buzzing with excitement. I had gotten various compliments and a few odd stares over my dress. But in the end I reminded myself about what Derek had said—it was about dressing up my body with what I liked.

Currently Jackson and I both stood in a group consisting of his friends and I boredly fiddled with my ring. I felt my clutch vibrate and I quickly reached in my bag and pulled out my phone to check if Derek was here yet, I read a text that said 'just left'. I groaned internally, it was going to take at least thirty minutes for him to get here.

"Jackson?" I asked tapping on his shoulder.

"What?" He asked turning around in annoyance.

"Can we get a table or something? It's kind of-"

"Bridgette just go sit down where my Dad is, that's our table."

"But aren't you going to come?" I asked.

"No, now go." He demanded.

I was going to reply but decided it was better to stay quite considering his friends were all watching us intently. I felt slightly embarrassed as I walked away from the group. I didn't like that Jackson was bossing me around in front of them. It made me feel weak and stupid. But rather than focusing on that I decided to put on a brave front as I went to go and sit with Matthew. With that man any sign of weakness would be used against you. His eyes met mine and a cold chill ran through my spine. I mumbled a small thanks under my breath as I came to the table and noticed that it was full of various people. Matthew had the only available seat and grinned as he stood up and pulled the chair out for me. I thanked him and sat down trying my best to sit as far away as I could from him on the chair.

"How are you holding up?" He asked placing his hand on my thigh. "Your father told me you had quite the fall last night."

I cleared my throat. "Um, yeah I wasn't watching where I was going and tripped."

"Huh, really?" He asked. "I could've sworn I heard some yelling last night." Matthew stared at me with a flicker in his eye. "Maybe I'll hear something again tonight, as I presume your small rendezvous with Derek will soon enough reach Jackson's ears as well."

I gulped. "I-I don't know what you're talking about."

"So you didn't meet with him today?" He asked mocking me. "You were quite sassy I hear, uninviting some of our most coveted clients."

I shrugged. "Well, I won't stand silent if people disrespect my friends."

Matthew scoffed. "And he's your friend?"

"Yes.." I trailed off. "turns out he's quite charming."

Matthews grip tightened on my leg as he crept closer to my ear. "Bridgette, I am onto you. If I find out that the reason Derek and you are suddenly inseparable has to do with anything related to Rose I will end you." I felt a lump develop in my throat and he chuckled leaning away. To an outsider it would seem as if were simply trying to speak over the music but instead he was here threatening me about Derek. I felt my phone buzz and I looked down to read my text when Jackson walked over and huffed when he realized there were no seats available. "Where do I sit?" He asked annoyed.