[21] Welcome to Moments and Memories

The time-lapse-y thingy is over. K. 

Katniss's Point of View

The song ends, Peeta smiles widely at me. Everyone watches as Mr/President Snow marches on stage, holding a piece of paper in his hands. He steps up to the microphone on the stage, waving at the student body.

"And now, ladies and gentlemen, it's time for what you've all been waiting for," Mr/President Snow announced, making the crowd chatter excitedly. Even I have a idea of what's going on. "Time for the crowning of this years homecoming king and queen."

A cheer comes from the mass of students, their excitement fueled by those words. Peeta squeezes my hand which I didn't notice he was holding onto. Mr/President Snow smiles slightly and nods to acknowledge their buzz.

"This years nominees for king are;" Snow begins listing the names. "Gale Hawthorne,"

My eyes search the crowd for Gale, who manages to stumble to the front and onto the stage. Madge stays on the floor just before the raised stage, smiling at Gale.

"Darius Silens,"

I hear Montey squeal from somewhere in the crowd and watch as they walk to the front, Darius getting on stage and Montey standing next to Madge.

"And finally, Peeta Mellark,"

I look up at Peeta, who looked dumbfounded. I nudged him towards the front, shaking him from his stupor. He beamed as he pulled me up to the front, hopping on stage while I stood next to Montey and Madge, who both grinned at me like idiots.

"Next, the homecoming queens," Snow announced.

"Montana Dinosaur," Montey gasped and froze, me and Madge poked her and she giggled as she jumped up on stage.

"Katniss Everdeen," What? I'm sorry, but WHAT? Madge lightly nudged me towards the stage, so I took a deep breath and put myself on the raised platform for everyone to look at me. I felt so odd under their intense stares as I placed myself next to Montey, who beamed at me.

"And lastly, Madge Undersee." Madge looked shocked, but managed to keep herself in check as she came up on stage. She stood on the other side of me, folding her hands behind her back and trying to look like she wasn't uncomfortable on stage. I gave her a reassuring smile, which she returned.

"Now, who will be our homecoming royalty?" Snow asked the crowd. The student body cheered loudly. The principle/president held up the folded paper. "I have the answers right here,"

A chorus of "Shhh.."s came from around the room, until the gym was completely silent. I could hear the paper crumple slightly as Snow opened it up.

I hope it's Madge. I wish it's Montey. I dream it's Darius. I want it to be Gale. I will it to be Peeta. It should be anyone but me. It should be someone who can live in this world happily, not me. I have to go soon. My time here is almost over.

"This years homecoming royalty is...." Snow announced. "Mr.Peeta Mellark and Ms.Katniss Everdeen!"

The room exploded in a cheer, I felt myself smile as Madge and Montey both enveloped me in a hug. I couldn't speak, just stood there with my jaw gaping open in shock. Peeta enters my field of vision, offering me my hand. I accept it and we walk to the front of the stage.

I'm in a dreamlike trance as Snow places a tiara on my head, a glint of mischief in his eyes. Peeta and I step onto the dance floor, a slower song turns on.

We gently begin to sway, the crowd creating a circle around us. Soon enough I see Montey and Darius dancing in the circle with us, followed by Gale and Madge. As we slowly spin  I see faces in the crowd, smiling faces. Avery gives me a thumbs up. Sarah makes kissy faces at me teasingly. Amanda stands at the front of the crowd with Danny, swaying slightly with the music.

I begin to notice other people joining in our circle, Cato and Soraya spin by us, Soraya winking at me. Jessica and Trevor step onto the dance floor, Jess giving me a large smile before starting to dance with her date.

It's the perfect moment, and I regret that it's mine. I might not remember this tomorrow, I may not even remember this at one am tonight! Then I realize, this memory isn't for me, it's for the others here. This is Peeta's moment, and Madge's moment, as well as Montey, Darius, Gale, and everyone in the crowd's moment. This memory is for them. They can remember me, at my happiest. They'll remember me by this, not by the moments when I was afraid of the cars, or the times I would get lost on the way to class. This was the perfect moment.

Nothing could ruin this moment.

Except for the time. 11:55. I had five minutes to get down to the football field. Five minutes, and I would be bidding this world goodbye.

Part of me wished to stay, but I knew I couldn't. I just coulnd't steal this moment from the real Katniss, this world's Katniss. She had the right to experience this. She deserved to enjoy the student body she was chosen to rule. She could have all the other moments in this world. But right now...

This was my final moment. My best moment.

A/N: Thank you all for voting!
Daruis's last name isn't in the books, so I used the Latin word for silence since he got turned into a avox. My last name is Dinosaur, rawr. I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Don't forget to vote and fan!