Nightmares & Realities: Part 4

Remy thought desperately about where Rogue might go. He knew she wasn't too far behind, because he could still feel her emotions. They were so intense. The pain of her emotions was stabbing through him like a knife, but he could endure it. He could feel her so completely, but he just didn't know where she was. She was running, he knew that much, running from herself.

He thought of where she would go. What she told him about her powers, and he figured that she would go someplace isolated, away from people. He drove the highway, still feeling those emotions. She was close. Then he came to a stretch of woods. It made sense to him that she might be there. He headed for them as fast as his legs would carry him.

When he entered that patch of sullen trees, the emotions ran even higher. He could barely move. She had been here. He could feel it. He staggered a few steps until another ray of hope had lit his way. He looked down. That's where he saw it. A cell phone. It was hers. He knew it.

"Rogue, you here, ain't ya, chere? No worry. Remy find ya."

He traveled on. His emotions remained strong. He knew he could find her. He had to. He walked through the woods at a steady pace. He almost tripped on some dead branches. He noticed up ahead where a tree had fallen. That was strange. There had been no thunder storms. He examined the base. It looked like it had been torn out, but what could have done it. Then he saw it, a single lace glove. He picked it up. He knew instinctively that it belonged to Rogue. She had worn them the night they met. He hadn't seen her wore them since, so he just assumed that she had left them in his apartment back in New Orleans. There it was, one half of the pair. He picked it up and took off again.

She was close, closer than she had been ten minutes before. He continued on. He couldn't stop now. Had she left this here for him to find? He wondered. He assumed she had. She wanted him to find her. His swift movement led him towards the end of the stretch of woods. There he found the glove's mate, but where was Rogue? Her emotions were no longer filling his mind. Almost in defeat he slowed down. His Rogue was gone. He had no idea where to look. He lifted the pair of lost gloves to his nostrils. He smelled him. They still boar her sweet sent. It gave him hope. He would find her. That was his silent promise.