Chapter 6 - Interrogated

I am Jace Andrews's boyfriend—what kind of bullshit was that?

Eyes followed me around as I walked, kids from my pack whom I barely knew greeted me— I didn't like the attention I was getting.

"Hi, Jordan." someone said.

"Hello, Jordan. Where's Jace?" another called out.

"It's weird not seeing you with Jace."

Blah, blah, blah it went.

The burning hatred I felt for Jace was starting to return. Things hadn't changed—Jace was still ruining my life with a happy smile on his face. It wouldn't have mattered if I started dating some random guy. Everyone thought I was dating Jace Andrews, the superstar of Bloomingdale High—this was a bigger deal to them than it was to me.

It became more absurd when a few mortal girls in pre-calc greeted me and told me how lucky I was to have Jace.

"We all knew Jace supported gay rights," one of them said. "So it's not that surprising to find out he was just closeted."

Sometimes their questions and reactions did bother me, but I was too tired to care. All I could focus on was Jace and his big mouth spreading rumors about us all over school. 

Sunny popped up at my locker while I gathered my stuff for Biology. I wanted to run but it was too late.

"Jordan, I'm sorry. Please talk to me! Please forgive me, just this one time—"

I had repeatedly told her that I didn't blame her at all for letting the cat out of the bag or the car incident, but I had been lying. The truth was that I'd been a little wounded at the thought of her betrayal.

"I just got my driving license, remember?" Sunny said to me as I tried my best to look at her. She really believed that I didn't have any hard feelings toward her for being the reason I had to emerge out of the crowd during the gathering. She went on to explain how Gordo had suggested to her father that he needed to find us another alternative to get us to school. Which lead to Mr. West buying a used van for all of us.

"I have to get to class, sweetie. See you after school. Let's have a nice long chat together later, okay?"

I could only nod.

"That's my awesome friend!" she said cheerfully.

After school ended for the day, I tried to take the bus but Gordo stopped me.

"I'm not sending either you or the boys anymore," he said. "Get out and get on with your friends. I don't have time to drive up the hill anymore."

I protested but knew I had to accept that Gordo's services were no longer available to me.

I didn't want to ride the van with Jace and the other boys, so I walked away from the parking lot, back into the school hall.

 "Oh, there he is—"

Damn it.

"Jordan!" Sunny yelled as she spotted me. "Damn . . . where were you? I spent ages looking for you. C'mon."

I shivered when Sunny opened the big old vehicle for me. The other boys, my brother included, were sitting properly in the passenger seats in the center of the van. The only seat left for me was the one in the back. Jace was riding shotgun like he had this morning.

I stood beside the van like an idiot.

"Jace," Sunny yelled, "get out. I want Jordan to sit there. Go take that seat in the back."