Chapter 18 - Intrusion

There was someone standing in the horizon. I tried to see who it was, but I was blinded by the brightness of this empty space. Thick cool mist chilled my skin, and it smelled like antiseptic here. I couldn't move my limbs no matter how much I struggled. I was bounded by pain and terror. 

I had died.

This was the afterlife, an atmosphere of blankness, and whiteness.

"Shh ... it's okay."

I sensed a movement, and then I found myself lying on Jace's shoulder. I knew it was him by his grassy and woody scent. We were lying on empty ground, my head between his shoulder blades, our heartbeats synchronized. He was here with me, and nothing could be wrong.

"Where are we?" I whispered.

"It's fine," he whispered at me. "Trust me."

I struggled to sit up and looked at him.

"Am I dreaming?"

"Not exactly," he replied. "We're connecting, Jordan."

"Huh?"

"It's our mate bond ... it's so strong, so intense, Jordan. Don't fade away from me—stay where you are, or else I won't be able to find you." He smiled, but I didn't smile back because I was confused.

"What are you talking about?"

He took my face in his hands, grinning again. 

"Do you feel me touching you?"

"Of course," I groaned.

"Some mates can connect like this, Jordan," Jace said. "I'll tell you more when you wake up. Now, stay put, and I'll find you. Okay?"

I wanted to pull his hand when he stood. When I reached out to touch him again, he dissipated into the air as dusts, leaving me only his farewell smile.

"Wait!" I advanced forward, and I felt myself soaring on empty air.

But it wasn't long enough when the world blackened again. There was no noise but the sound of water dripping.

Suddenly, I became aware of my body, starting to feel blood flowing in my stiff limbs again. Searing pain shot through my entire body. Every bone in my system felt like they had broken; the pain was so intense that tears started to flood in my eyes. I let out a moan.

Calm down, Jordan. Breathe.

When I opened my eyes, I saw boulders surrounding me, they were so abundant that I couldn't make out the space I was in. Firelight from the burning wood ten feet away from me illuminated the grotto-like room.

Droplets of clear liquid flowed down my temple to my naked chest.The rivulets continued streaming from above my head. I realized the drops came from the cavern wall around me. I struggled to move my limbs when I realized it had been tied behind whatever I was sitting on.

I was in my human body. Naked.

Then a cheerful whistle caught my attention. At the far end of the cave was a silhouette of a guy. He was approaching me, his footsteps echoing around me. I didn't know where I was, but I wasn't afraid anymore. I believed in whatever Jace said, even though it may have been just a dream. I will be okay.

I took a deep breath.

The guy walked with slow steps toward me, and the firelight shone on his face.

Theo.

"Hello, Jordan."

If there was no repulsive hatred in me for him, I was pretty sure he wouldn't have looked like a bad guy. His small deep-set blue eyes were captivating enough that you couldn't help but to stare into them. His smooth baby cheeks and bright pink lips had even made him look more ... naive. The thought of throwing someone that seemed so innocent into the fire made me feel bad.