Chapter 13 - Heart Attack

I pushed through the people in the crowd as if they were liquid until I reached the bottom of the amphitheater. From there, The Tent looked humongous—I bet there were millions of people seated in the audiences around me, half of them rooting for Jace's victory just like I had. But he lost.

That wasn't what mattered at the moment, his safety was priority.

But I had no idea where Jace was. My vision blurred out, and a faint throb started in my head.

I flinched as someone bumped into me from behind.

"Jordan?"

I let out a breath of relief as I saw Dan standing behind me. His face was crimson; sweat was dribbling down from his temple. I knew he was trying to tell me something, but he was panting too hard to do so.

Of course Dan would be terrified—he couldn't only side with Jace since Theo was in the game, too. A glimpse of what seemed like confusion started to fill his eyes, and Dan never lost his head before.

 With him standing in front of me like this, the terror inside of me worsened.

"Dan, where's Jace? He needs me, he's hurt—"

"Calm down, Jordan," Dan shouted over the noise.

Before I could say anything else, Dan grabbed my hand and pulled me away from the crowd.

I found myself standing in front of a huge door. Dan and I were facing two men in complete white attire, blocking us from going in.

"Only the Alpha can visit the contender," one of the men said.

"Please," Dan pleaded, "Jace needs this boy. This boy is his mate."

The guys squinted at me, their expressions changing. I could feel as my cheeks burned, but I ignored it.

"Jace Andrews has a male mate?" one of them asked.

"Yes," I retorted. "Is that a problem?"

I was surprised as the words came out of my mouth. I never sounded like this before; it sounded as if the words I was saying were catching fire, and it was peculiar. I forced myself to breathe and contained my anger. Dan looked at me like he didn't know me anymore. I ignored him; I couldn't just stand here. Maybe the meds would mend Jace, but I still needed to go in.

"Only one of you can go in," one of them finally said.

Dan pushed me into the room. "Go."

The doors slammed shut behind me. I was standing in a narrow vestibule, caught in between two entrances. The air smelled like medicine and antiseptics. I wasn't sure which room to go into.

 But my doubts were gone when I heard a moan.

"Aargh—"

Decision made, I entered the room I heard the moan from. In the room, there were rows and rows of beds. One of them was enclosed by a curtain. I sprinted toward it and flicked the curtains open, finding my mate beaten and bloody on the bed.

"What the—" one of the doctors said.

"Jace," I said, approaching him. I wanted him to know I was here for him. He might have thought that I didn't care—he might have thought I was still the old me who would find joy from seeing him in pain. The great Jace Andrews who had spent his time bullying me was now covered in dark-red blood and patches of fresh wounds—I should've been applauding.

I reached out to touch his chest. I caressed him until my fingers found his face—this man held the other half of my soul, and he was hurting. 

Tears stung my eyelids. I said his name in his ear, repeating it as if my voice could bring him back his lost energy. Well, maybe it could.