Chapter 10 - Party

"We're celebrating Nathan's father discovering his mate, recently," I said.

Due to the rushed shifting, I'd destroyed my clothes, leaving them as pieces of torn fabrics in the woods. I was grateful to have Adam who snuck into my house to get me some clothes so I could change in the trees. He kept asking if the neighbors would freak out when they saw a human-sized wolf roaming around the streets. I told him that it was a normal thing in this neighborhood. I could only snort as he gasped in apprehension.

Although my mate kept on popping up in my mind once in a while, chatting with Adam all day helped to keep my mind off of him. Darkness started to cover the sky, but Adam still had so many questions to ask about my werewolf pack.

"So Nathan's mom is not his dad's mate?"

"No," I answered. "They split up when Nathan's mom found her true mate. Some wolves go against the odds, but they have to face the consequences. That's why you just have to wait for your mate to marry her—or him."

I winked and Adam shot me a look.

"Speaking of mates," he continued, "I saw yours with Theo."

"Yeah."

"I don't like it," Adam said. "They're getting too close. It's weird."

"I am not supposed to tell you this, but my relationship with Jace is pretty much fucked up at the moment."

Adam's eyes widened. "What happened?"

"Well, I didn't really like him, right?" I said. "I just . . .  I went overboard. He got mad and decided to teach me a lesson by ignoring me, although it's impractical."

I didn't expect the nimble laughter from Adam. "He'll come back to you," he said.

"Why do you say that?" I asked.

"Well, I don't know how to explain this exactly," he muttered. "Man, it's just weird, because I'm not gay but I have to be honest with you. Jace and you look . . .  I don't know, great together? Even though I rarely get to see you with him, but you used to hate him so much so maybe this is the silver lining, you know? It's like you have to love him now, with no choice. Do you get it?"

"Yeah, everyone says the same," I sighed. "And they're all like 'Hey, where's Jace?' and this and that every single time."

"Well, that sucks," Adam said.

"Don't you think Jace is like . . .  too popular, for me?"

The word 'popular' tasted like acid in my mouth—it felt awkward to say it. 

"I guess that's why you are his mate," Adam replied. "He can't have everything, can he? He used to have it all; the chicks, the fame, but now he's screwed since he has you, a guy, to love forever. Fair and square."

I was about to respond when I heard a commotion, like someone was running from downstairs to my bedroom, menacing footsteps booming outside the door. I shot straight up sitting on my bed when Sunny popped into my bedroom.

"Jordan, let's go—wait, what is he doing here?"

"Hi, Sunny," Adam said, his voice lacking any expression.

"Wait, Jordan, I don't think—"

"I know you're a half-dog," Adam interrupted her.

"Excuse me?" Sunny pulled up her sleeves. "What did you just say? A dog?"

"Well, I mean—"

Sunny advanced on him, her big brown eyes broadened.

"What makes you think you can say that?" she pressed on, her hands locked on her hips.