Chapter 11 - Healing

The only thing I remembered was the way my face hit the grass, and my head felt like it had been split in half. Then, empty darkness.

The pain hit me when I started to open my eyes—it flooded into my head, it was so intense my ears were ringing. Damn, the agony I was feeling was no joke—I let out a small yelp, wishing the venomous pain would go away by doing so.

But there was a sweet-smelling heat by my side that helped to relax and ease my pain.

He pulled me so my head landed right on his arm with my cheek touching his stony chest. I snuggled into his scent as much as I could; trying to convince myself I wasn't a pervert because I felt desire.

In fact, I ignored what my mate would think and buried my face deeper into his body.

God, my mate smelled fantastic, like vegetation and the woods.

"Hey," he murmured. "Are you okay?"

I could only groan in response. You could say I was being nuisance, but if this was the only opportunity I had to touch my mate freely, then I couldn't care less. I draped myself over his tummy, his T-shirt crumpled in my tight grip. Through the crack of my eyelids I noticed the bright morning sunshine.

Damn, I missed the whole night.

"It's alright," Jace whispered as he stroked my head. "You'll be fine."

I didn't say anything; it felt good to stay this way. I didn't know cuddling with him like this could be so relaxing. I was so fucking turned on there was no turning back.

"I'm sorry, Jordan," Jace pleaded. "And you—what were you thinking? Why did you decide to be such a stupid asshole last night? I didn't need saving."

"Sorry," I murmured. "I was just—"

"Your skull got cracked, you hear me? This is unacceptable, Jordan."

I pulled myself up to breathe some fresh air. When our eyes met, I smiled.

"I'm okay," I said. "It's fine."

"You should be thankful to have a mate," Jace said. "Dan said mate bonds can help internal injuries. I hope you're okay."

"I'm fine," I pressed on. "Thank you, Jace."

Jace pushed my head back onto his chest again. Engulfing myself in him, I wrapped my arms freely around his body, stroking his muscles with my hands. Under my fingertips, his heart beat faster in his chest. Nothing could be better than this.

It wasn't rocket science how mate bonds help with pain—having Jace by my side was so blissful the idea of being physically in pain seemed ridiculous.

 "I was just worried he was going to hit you," I said.

"That's not a good excuse to not use your brain," Jace grunted. "I don't want you to do that, ever again. Promise me, Jordan."

"God, dude," I said. "I'm a guy too. I have pride."

"Then use that damn pride of yours for other things instead of getting a punch you don't deserve."

I pulled myself up and push Jace down so he lay down on his back. "Like this?" I murmured.

Jace laughed, his eyes trailing me as I sat on top of him. "Now you deserve a punch."

I'd almost forgotten how beautiful this man was. As I put my hands around his buzz cut hair, I watched as his dark brown eyes glimmered under the morning light.

My fingers lingered around his face, and I descended lower so my torso met his. I gave his lips a brush from mine, a smile forming on his lips, the kind of smile that showed me how deeply in love he was, the kind of smile I wanted to see on his face forever.