Chapter One

"Standing alone doesn't mean I am alone, it means I am strong enough to handle things myself."
- Anonymous.

Neil Harris

The blur of dark colours floated around the ball room as many men and women showed off their attires. The band on the stage played an unfamiliar soft tune and the couples swayed over the floor.

Well dressed gentlemen stood on one side sharing their insight on the city's economy, standing tall, priding their own wealth and power.

Polished ladies stood on another side whispering the new scandals occurring, showing off the shining diamonds as some sultry eyes followed the single wealthy men around the room.

The elite party was on full swing but I hated it. Even though the party for whom was thrown and who threw, were far better than these lots, I still hated it. If it was up to me, I wouldn't have stepped inside one of this boring parties but my distaste was nothing in front of the stubborn brunette who ordered my presence in her husband's 33rd birthday party.

I had no choice but to grace this dull party with my presence. If it was up to me, I would have simply taken the guy to a popular club for his birthday but his wife had different plan.

"One brandy right here, Sir."

I accepted the drink and sled the last empty glass to the bartender. Champagnes were served to everyone but I was more of a beer, whiskey and brandy kind of guy.

Cooling my throat with the drink, I was lost to my thoughts. I didn't know how long my ass was sitting on the bar stool as the crowd behind me, slowly started leaving. Soon the band stringed the final tune as the music evaporated in the air. More waiters flowed in the room, collecting the plates and glasses, upturning the chairs over the tables.

"Anything else, Sir?" The bartender asked me as he cleaned the counters, eyeing the recently emptied glass in front of me.

With the intention of ordering another drink, I opened my mouth but a familiar voice drawled behind me, answering the bartender. "Water. Only water."

I swung around the stool as I grinned. "You're sounding more and more like your wife."

Tyler Sanders rolled his eyes and took a seat in my neighbour bar stool. "She's a good influence, is she not?"

"Of course, she is." I answered him what he wanted to hear. I would be a crazy fool if I said anything against his wife and that too, before him. Not that there was anything to say against her. Even though at first, her happy and warm vibe irritated me, I warmed up to her after knowing her for more than two years.

The proud husband and birthday guy nodded approvingly. I let a chuckle escape me. Marriage to Claire Bishop, now Claire Sanders turned him into a big teddy bear. It was a shame the great Tyler Sanders got tamed that easily but what else could I do? Even a blind man would know this guy was a happily married, family man.

The bartender, Ben placed a stilled water bottle before me. I took a sip and glanced at my watch. Two minutes to go before midnight.

"Happy Birthday, old man!" I wished the guy one last time, clapping him on the back.

He rolled his shoulders and cracked his neck. "Thanks. I'm not going to disagree with you though. I feel like an old man."

I laughed. "Well, living with three females will do that to anyone."

He laughed as well but admiration and joyful delight crossed over his face. His happy grin still presently covering the whole face. "Yeah but I couldn't imagine my life without them."