Chapter Twenty-Five

Withholding love is a form of self-sabotage, as what we withhold from others, we are withholding from ourselves.
― Marianne Williamson

Neil Harris

There was a time when I didn't give a fuck about any of the troubles I've landed in or anyone's opinion about me. There was a time I lived by my rules, went with the flow and enjoyed the fuck out of my life.

Life was a carefree adventure for me, but now no more.

All because of that pain in the ass woman. Ever since she entered my life, things had turned upside down. Now, I cared damn too much.

"She didn't know."

No, she fucking didn't know.

Kate came charging and punched me in the shoulder. "What the fuck did you do?"

The force on my shoulder was as much painful as was the hammering inside my head from all the piled up mess uncoiling around me. 

"Hey, back off!" Pissed off and unable to stuff it in, I turned away from her. I had no idea who was the most likely reason of my fucked up inner conflict. Me, Ashley or just plain old stubborn Kate?

I slipped my fingers through my hair and pulled it in frustration. I had no idea Kate would leave the safe haven of Seattle. If I had known, I would had travelled far south to avoid meeting her.

"No, I won't! Look at me when I am talking to you."

"Gah!" I made a low guttural sound and whirled around, blazing fire with my look. "Why are you here?"

"Why am I here?" She came forward and flicked my forehead as if it's any consolation for her painful punch. "I came to check up on you, you idiot."

"Now? Why? Did Nicole say shit to you?"

"Nicole? Nicole Hampton?" Kate's repulsed face was enough to enlighten me. "Not only are you married, but you are shacking up with that bitch too?"

"No! Damn it! I ran into her last week. And isn't that bitch your best friend?" I mocked her, although we were verbally out to get each other, I could not help but notice her. Kate was here in front of me. My sister. I wasn't prepared for the onslaught of familial emotion that was threatening to bubble out. If I could delay the display of emotional crisis forever, I would.

"Ex-best friend." She scoffed. "And why do you think that is? She tried to shack up with my husband too. Bitch is lucky she's alive."

This was definitely a far more depressing topic. My head's too fragile for this type of shit. I sighed and rubbed my eyes incase any pitiful tears fell. "Kate, why are you here?"

Kate narrowed her brown eyes and crossed her arms. She looked so much like the older sister she was. It faltered me for a while. Had it really been months since I last saw her? No wonder she was pissed. No wonder I felt shitty.

"You were avoiding me." She stated with scrutinising eyes. "So, I knew you were up to no good. I had to check up on you." However, she glanced up the stairs and sighed. "You did wrong, little brother. You ruined her life. I didn't know you'd go this far."

I became aware of the familiar wave of anger residing in me once again. I looked at Kate and felt betrayed. She was supposed to be with me every step of the day, but no, she was off galloping in another state to even care about me.

"I had to do something because you were never gonna do anything."

It felt good to say it out loud. Why should I be the only one suffering?