Chapter Fifteen

When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something.
-Dalai Lama

Neil Harris

There was something about that old hag, I didn't appreciate.

From the moment I stepped out of the car, the whole Davis estate in my sight again, my attention was caught by the salt-pepper haired woman, standing by my actual enemy.

Her cunning eyes were on me at first before they morphed into hatred and lend on her granddaughter. Red flags stood up in my head but I tried not to fidget at the possibility of my wife being targeted for such loathing cause that's what I wanted, right? For her to suffer? And for Marcus to see his own daughter suffering?

Yes, this was what I wanted and I would let it happen.

But as I listened to the verbal exchange between my wife and her family, I saw my plan crumbling piece by piece just like my weak wife.

Even I was surprised at my quick reflex of engulfing my wife inside my arms when she stumbled back from the words thrown at her. My skin burned as if she was the fire herself. Well, technically she was a mess right now but a hot mess nonetheless.

Wasn't her family supposed to be grieving at the turn in Ashley's life? The mother was a complex character. She was not anything like she had looked before in the thanksgiving party, throwing daggers at me through her sharp eyes.

The father? Well, I had the pleasure of seeing him crumble at his office day before yesterday. He hadn't known who I was at our first meeting at this estate. He was too blinded by the riches surrounding him to piece my last name to that of the couple's last name from the night three years ago.

But when I presented the legal documents containing my name in bold letters which stated who was the owner of most shares in Davis Lumbers Ltd and which also made the 1200 acres of Davis estate fall under it, thus, making me its owner too, he had finally connected both the last name Harris.

When he had seen my cold, unflinching eyes and the cynical smirk on my face, I saw realisation dawn on his face. Surprisingly, he had no words for me. No words of understanding, no words of sympathy, no words of apology but most shockingly, no words of hate or threats. It was only silence.

"Wha-at do you want?" He hesitantly, asked.

With pure hatred in my eyes, I admitted. "Kill you." Ignoring his shock and fear, I glanced outside through his glass windows. "But I promised someone I wouldn't hurt anyone physically. So, I'm just going to kill you financially and emotionally." When there was no haughty comeback, I looked back at him and smirked at his frightened face. "Oh, don't forget Ashley is with me now." I reminded him and enjoyed, watching the fear in him increase tenfold.

His fists curled and gradually, anger replaced the fear. "How dare you bring my daughter in this?"

"I will bring whoever I want in this and do whatever I want, if that will destroy you completely." I spat out, the need for raging attack crawling right under my skin.

Instead, he was the one seething venom, with excess amount of pompousness."Don't you dare do anything! She is after all my daughter! She will come back to me. I will make her come home!"

"She won't!" I shouted, a feeling of possessiveness taking over me. "I won't let her! She's mine and she belongs to me now! Only me!"