Chapter 7

“Well that was strange,” said Carter.

“Even by Waterfolk standards?” asked Ella, raising an eyebrow.

“Yes even by our standards. That's weird, metal is a precious resource down here, we use it for practical things, never for jewelry. My guess is that necklace wasn't made here, and if it was, it's much too valuable to give away. Even weirder, it kind of looks like the one you're wearing,” said Carter.

“I'm not wearing-” Ella stopped short when she felt the cool metal of the lotus necklace press against her neck. She swore she'd left it tucked into the back page of the journal for safe keeping, which was pressed between the mattress and the floor in her bedroom. How did it get on her neck?

“I know I was dead set on the palace, but I think we should go to the temples. I remember seeing a drawing of your necklace before, back when I had classes with the priests. Maybe one of my old teachers can tell us more about this,” said Carter, tapping the shell necklace in her hand. She nodded slowly, wondering if this shell pendant had anything to do with the ruins in the forest.

Carter took a right turn, swimming down a broad street paved with cobblestones. Stone arches that towered over their heads ran down the street, and Ella noticed that the people here were wearing deep blue robes that rippled around their bodies. Their hair was long no matter the gender, on the older ones it floated out past their tails. Where the other Waterfolk sparkled and dressed ornately, these people seemed to look plain on purpose. As she passed they all greeted her with warm smiles and slight bows. Seaweed and other plants rose up around them, the soft tendrils reaching out to brush her skin. The Waterfolk in robes swam around tending what Ella assumed was a garden, trimming stray leaves, sprinkling fertilizer and picking flowers. One handed her a pale blue flower and gestured for her to smell it. She put it below her nose and sniffed, surprised that it smelled of salt and sand, just like the ocean. The Waterfolk smiled at her reaction and continued with his work.

“What is this?” she asked, smelling it again.

“It's a Herrow flower. It's very rare, we just got a bush as a gift from the Sea Side Kingdom. They must think you're very special to give you one. Then again, you are in the company of a prince,” Carter smirked.

“Who are they? Why do they were robes?” asked Ella, holding onto her flower.

“They are priests in training. Most will never become a priest because we only ever have three at a time, but think of them as sort of monks. They live plain lives, never cut there hair, wear blue robes and oh, they aren't allowed to speak. In fact it's considered rude to speak to them as well,” said Carter matter-of-factly.

Ella was bursting with questions, but she was too busy staring at the building that had risen up in front of them. It was a large dome with three circular entrances carved into the side. The entire structure was built out of a deep blue gem that was translucent, and silver spirals and swirls were painted all over the surface. It seemed to glow from within, and that's when Ella realized this is where most of the light in the city came from. It was almost like a large, blue, underwater sun. They swam into the building, which was entirely empty on the inside except for a large, deep pit in the middle of the room that was filled with blue flame. The fire rose at least thirty feet into the air, and flames licked at the ceiling, trying to escape into the open water above. As they neared the fire, Ella noticed it didn't emit any heat. She wasn't the best at science, but a fire was a chemical reaction that created heat. Then again, fire didn't burn underwater either.

“Ah, Current my boy! What brings you to the temple?” a loud, boisterous voice said from behind them.

Ella turned to see a very round Waterfolk swimming towards them. His white hair was tied in a low pony tail, and it trailed out behind him. He also wore a blue robe, but his had a golden trim and a sash with the face of a serpent on it.