Chapter 20

For a moment, Ella was completely and totally disoriented. Her eyes flickered around the room, squinting in the bright light. She could feel hundreds of eyes on her, watching her every move. She took another step forward, and it seemed like everyone took a collective breath. Her eyes scanned the crowd- something she couldn't remember if it was wrong to do or not- looking for a familiar face. Her eyes found Carter first, seated between his father and Coral. Neither of them would look her in the eyes.

She continued walking towards the only free seat in the room, the one she assumed to be hers. It was set up directly opposite of where the council was seated, eerily reminding her of a human courtroom. She sat down as smoothly as she could, folding her hands on her lap to keep them from trembling. It was so silent she could hear an owl whoo-hoo from far off in the distance. She sat up straight in the wooden chair, her eyes flickering over the council members.

They were the oddest mix of 'heroes' she'd ever seen. Some looked the part, with dashing good looks, young faces and bright eyes. Some were middle-aged with potbellies. Others looked ancient, dressed in long elegant robes. They were seated in three rows of benches, tiered so everyone could see clearly. Behind them sat the crowd of Wildfolk who'd come to watch.

It was in that crowd she found two familiar blue eyes, accompanied by a boyish grin that melted away all her doubts and worries. Taking a deep breath, she looked at what she assumed to be the leader of the council. He'd risen to his feet, and by his elongated frame she assumed he was Forestfolk. His long white hair was pulled into a pony tail, and his beard hung all the way down to his waist. Ella couldn't tell if the lines in his face were lines of laughter or scars of battles long ago.

“I am Robus, Leader of the Council. Could you introduce yourself, Keeper?” he spoke slowly, his deep voice carrying throughout the clearing.

“I am Ella, daughter of Nyssa Keaton,” she answered, surprised how sure her voice sounded.

A chorus of murmurs rose up among the crowd at the mention of her mother's name, Ella couldn't pick out specific words but they seemed surprised. Another man on the council, one who looked middle-aged, stood.

“Nyssa has been missing for fifteen years. She deserted us, and took the Keeper with her!” he shouted.

“Alec! That is enough. Our purpose is not to frighten and alienate the girl,” Robus said. The other man sat down, but his face was still angry.

“Do you know where your mother is?” asked a slender woman seated next to Robus.

“No. She left me with my human family as a baby.”

“And where do your loyalties lie? With the Wildfolk or with your human family?” Alec asked pointedly.

Ella was unsure what to respond, but an urgent look from Coral told her it was probably a very bad idea to stall.

“I... I love my human family, as in my brother and my father. They mean the world to me,” she finally choked out.

“See! I knew she couldn't be loyal to us,” Alec growled.

“I didn't say that,” Ella said, her voice eerily calm. Everyone in the room turned to look at her, and out of the corner of her eye she saw Coral smack her forehead with her palm.

“I love my family yes, as would anyone else in my situation. However, they are the only humans I have any loyalty to. I have personally met a member of the Mortalis, and I have been attacked by one of the Fallenfolk. Anything and everything I can do to help the Wildfolk in ridding those two evils, I will do,” Ella said, voice growing in confidence.

“Is that enough to reassure you Alec?” asked Robus, eyebrow raised.

Alec slumped back in his seat, but his eyes glimmered in a way that told her she hadn't heard the last of him.