ADORED

“EMMA, WAKE UP,” Aiden says calmly, gently rubbing my shoulder. I open my eyes, the road moving beside me, his truck turning into his driveway.

“Wha?” I ask silently, slightly confused. I must have fallen asleep while we were outside.

“We’re home.” He stops the truck, jumps out, and walks toward my side to open the door. I follow him through the front door and into the living room, only to find our families standing near the sofa, Ali holding a pan of brownies with lit candles, my grandfather’s tired eyes so happy to see me, Michelle and Anna bouncing up and down, their voices singing happy birthday as I walk toward all of them. I smile as I approach them, hug my grandfather, Ali’s smile warming the entire room.

“Happy birthday, sweetheart,” she says as she holds the cake out in front of me, eighteen candles circled around it, all lit. I make my wish, blow them out.

“Woo!” Ethan yells as Ali sets the cake down, yet another beer bottle in his hand. Aiden rolls his eyes, Ali cutting the cake.

“We figured since you couldn’t celebrate your birthday,” Aiden says, “we’d celebrate today.”

“And…” Ashlee cuts in, “presents!”

I smile brightly as Jack hands me the first one, giftwrapped in red, black bow tied tightly around it.

“I always see you writing,” he says as I unwrap it, “so I got this for you.” It’s a journal, two dancers displayed on the front cover. I stare at the cover, my arms wrapping tightly around Jack. He hugs me back.

“Thanks, Jack,” I say enthusiastically as I pull away. He smiles at me.

“No need to thank me other than writing every day.”

Blake, Ashlee, and Ethan step toward me, Ashlee handing me a small box, giftwrapped. I open it, stare at the long, slender box, an Apple logo on the front. Ethan’s the first one to hug me, giving me another one of his bear hugs. I struggle as he sets me down, Ashlee and Blake both hugging me.

“You better dance your ass off with this,” Ethan says, grabbing me under his arm, tousled my hair. I laugh, nod.

“Don’t worry… I will.”

Anna hands me one of the pictures she took at the studio, a picture of me in midflight, smiling. Something inside lightens up, just as it did when I realized everything was going to turn out okay.

Then comes Ali, a tiny red box handed out to me.

“This one your mother told me to give you when you turn eighteen,” she says as I open it. Once I see what’s inside, I smile. It’s the same necklace my mother would always wear, the same one she wore when she had Michelle. Tears fall slowly, Ali’s arm wrapped around me.

“Happy birthday,” she says, kissing my forehead. Once she pulls away, Ethan rolls his eyes.

“Come on, man!” he yells, “It’s only been five minutes and I’m already bored!”

“Oh, shut up, Ethan!”  Blake yells, “Why do you always have to ruin everything.”

“Hey Emma, did I hurt your feelings?”

I laugh, shake my head.

“Okay then, so I didn’t ruin everything.

“Yeah but you just love to start something, don’t you?”

More arguments start, Jack shaking his head at me, Ali handing me a brownie. It’s funny how she remembers how much I hate cake. I take it upstairs into Aiden’s bedroom. Shortly after, he follows me, sits across from me on his bed.

“Did this suck as much?” he asks as he eats his piece, his eyes focused on me. My answer is heartfelt, happiness expelled through my smile.

“No,” I say, “it didn’t.”