Chapter VI

Arkan was trapped behind the crevice. There were too many heavy artillery droids, and although they hadn't already, they would soon detect his movements, or body heat, and with his Kai priestess unconscious he was unshielded and thus unable to fight through to an escape. Turning around he kneeled, held the arms of his Kai priestess, and lightly shook her.

"They know we're here," he whispered, "Yun, wake up." There was no response; he continued shaking her, "Yun ... Yun."

Neva Yun Ra emerged from her fitful slumber and murmured, "We must go back–my sisters will soon pass into the Light."

"Yun, please, we cannot, we must save the child that grows within you."

She hesitated, "No, we must kill this child. Maniok," her eyes widened, "He is coming–He is near."

"What?"

"Arkan you must kill me."

"What?" he repeated shocked and angered.

"Arkan please ... you must understand ... kill me and leave me."

"Never."

"You must. Within me grows a forbidden Kai child ... If Maniok succeeds in killing off the Kai ... then all that will remain is this child ... Maniok will seize the child–bend him–twist him into the shadow–He–No! It is here ... it is here ..."

Heavy artillery droids advanced upon the hiding place of Arkan and his priestess. Arkan stood up with clenched fists and a furrowed brow ready to face the one named Maniok. He exited the crevice. The droids responded by parting a path to reveal a figure silhouetted by a backdrop of transport floodlights.

The figure spoke, "Is that you, Arkan? So happy to see me? I must confess I cannot contain my twisted self. It is a pleasure to see you again ... Step closer–more into the light so that I may see you. No? Pity–Let's be done with it fool! Unsheathe your sword. Face me!"

Arkan stepped back into the crevice to look a final time at his Neva Yun Ra.

"Face me!"

He kneeled before her and said, "Yun, I love you with all that is good within my heart."

"Come out and face me!"

He kissed her gently upon her lips and said, "Give me the Light. I will face Maniok."

Arkan stepped out of the crevice; the space around him filled with the blue light of his Kai-Ra.

"How you've grown," slurred Maniok. The droids widened the path between the one they served and Arkan. It then disrobed exposing its eyeless, earless, white bony face that had two slits for a nose, black lips, pearly white teeth, and a tongue the color of blood. The black, raw silk garments hanging loose from its body swelled from a draft of wind like the dark sails of a ship over a moonless sea. It eyed Arkan with a contorted smile and exploded into a run, gaining speed with each step that kicked up dirt, and unsheathed two double-edged long swords before leaping into an attack aimed for Arkan's heart.

Arkan unsheathed his double-edged long sword, charged, and leapt high into the air. Bright, lightning-like flashes erupted from the clash of his sword against Maniok's swords sending shrill echoes in all directions. Gravity then reclaimed them.

Back on the ground and crouched like a wild cat Arkan heard the clanging echoes of the swords continue into the far reaches of the cavern and noticed blood from a thin cut on his right thigh. He placed his hand over his wound feeling the blood ooze between his fingers and saw Maniok clench its teeth, tighten its grip on its swords, and leap into the illuminated air. He jumped after his enemy who slashed with both swords at him. He was not fast enough to counter the strikes; his right arm was cut; and he fell in an uncontrolled descent crushing a coarse stone with his back when he hit the ground. He shouted out in pain and grabbed his bleeding arm before rolling off the crushed stone that had stabbed several stone splints into his bruised back. He sat up and tried to lift his forearm, but could not; his muscle had been cut clean through.