Chapter 1

pic on the side by AaliyaKhan

***

“Now that I know what I’m without

You can’t just leave me

Breathe into me and make me real

Bring me to life.”  

Chapter  One

Tick

Tock

Tick

Tock

Tick

I lay awake in my new bed, and started at the ceiling, which was painted a deep yellow. I hated yellow. I hated having to stare at it for so long; the rest of the room was painted yellow too. Apparently my grandmother had some lady from the pack design it. I hated it. But all I did was nod and close the door. The room was simple, a four poster bed, desk, night stand, a seat by the window, en-suite bathroom, walk in closet and that was it.

I hated the colour yellow. The bed spread was pink. I hated that too. But who was I to complain.

My grandparents lived in the pack house, but in another wing entirely, so it was like their private apartment. Today I would meet the pack at a barbeque that was to be hosted in about an hour. I hated that I had to go because it was introduce me into the pack, a whole ceremony with the Alpha. It meant that I had to put on an act; I was used to acting, putting a smile on my face and pretending I actually wanted to be around.

I could hear my grandparents preparing stuff, since they were the former Alpha’s they were hosting it at the backyard. The Alpha who took over after my father left with me retired four years ago and handed the pack over to his son who was eighteen then, twenty-two now. The pack had grown as well and was one of the strongest.

“Sage, you have to come down, people have started arriving.”

“Okay.” I said in a bored voice.

I got up off the bed and headed to the shower, making it quick and then grabbing the first pair of jeans and a black long sleeved top because it was chilly outside, winter was around the corner, and then I put on some sneakers, and left my long dark red hair loose and walked out the door.

I could hear chatter and laughter around the house.

“Ah Sage, come meet my friend.” My grandmother said as soon as I was on the bottom step and pulled me towards the women who looked similar to her but you could tell they weren’t related; she had a friendly face and smiled at me.

I gave her a small smile and a polite “hello, pleased to meet you.”

“Oh hello dear, I’m so sorry to hear about your father, what a terrible thing.”

“It’s okay.” I said awkwardly.

“I’m surprised he held on that long, usually they lose themselves immediately, I know this one women who after her mate died…” she was cut off by my gran.

“Nate!” my gran called.

A tall muscular figure stepped in, he was drop dead gorgeous, he had green eyes and short but curly brown hair, his dimples showed when he smiled and he gave off a welcoming aura.

“Yes Mrs Drew.” He smiles charmingly at her.

“This is my granddaughter, please show her around.”