Chapter 8

“Trying to make it work

But man

These times are hard.”

Chapter 8

Shifting into my wolf was always a painful process, they say it gets better in time, and by the time that time comes you will not even feel the phase but only the magic it leaves behind. I however didn’t have much practice. Actually, I was banned from changing into my white and grey wolf, which I had inherited from my mother. You could imagine that, when I reached puberty at the age of thirteen and it was a given that my body was developing and so I would finally change into my wolf. I was excited, the only good feeling I allowed myself. I would be whole, I would be me the me I was supposed to be. Completely who I was supposed to be. But life doesn’t always work the way you wanted it to. If it did my mother would never have been murdered and my father wouldn’t have turned insane, I would have grown up with a pack the way our kind was supposed to, my mate would want me.

So back to phasing, Slade thought it would be a good idea to chill in wolf form for the remainder of the day, it was already five and the sun was setting. I wanted to enjoy this, after all I was allowing myself freedom for the night. Slade brought the old me out, the young six year old that believed in fairytales and eternal love. God! I was so fucking naïve.

Anyway I gracefully walked behind a huge tree, looking if anyone was around and stripped. Actually, I took of my sneakers and jeans and sweatshirt before shifting.

It was…..

Painful.

Like I said I was banned. The first time I phased was the worst though. It was like I was being thrown around in a casket with spikes. Yeah. That painful. But what made it worse was that during my first shift my father was there. I wasn’t allowed to cry out in pain, not even after he saw the colour of my fur, I wasn’t allowed when he beat me in wolf form. And made me change back immediately after to beat me all over again.

Pain! There should be a different word to describe the intensity.

Considering this was my fourth phase. Yeah I counted. The pain was bearable, it was a common pain. Nothing to write home about but I obviously took longer than Slade did to change because I could feel his impatience.

“Can you hurry up?” he asked through the mind link.

I rolled my eyes at him, positive that it looked really weird for a wolf to be doing that, and walked on all fours to where he stood. All mighty and strong with his dark brown wolf. Urg! I felt so awkward right now. I definitely needed to work on my wolf co-ordination, because I kept tripping over shit.

Slade looked at me strangely, “You look like a pup who just shifted for the first time.” He said through our mind link. I averted my gaze from his.