Eight

"Hold still. It'll be over before you know it."

His voice was deep and raspy behind me. His words sent chills down my spine and mini eruptions across my chest, down my arms, to my hands that were balled into fists to recoil the sting I knew was coming.

I knew he was just saying that so I didn't change my mind. But he didn't have to. I'd had long, mostly sleepless nights since my night with Liam. I'd stayed up into the wee hours contemplating. By then I'd made my mind up. I knew I was making the right decision even though I was scared as hell. I just wanted to get it over as fast as possible.

I was glad I didn't have to see him, watch him as he did it. That would have made it too real. He wasn't attractive to me. He was paunchy with chunky arm muscles and sun-reddened skin. An unkempt beard clung in clumps to his round face and he had huge, thick hands that looked like he could place one on either side of my waist and tear me to shreds like a rag doll.

I held my breath when I felt his touch, but when he impaled me I couldn't stop the sound that escaped my clenched teeth. It was abrupt and loud.

"You okay?"

For a big guy he sounded gentle, almost nurturing.

"I'm fine."

"You can close your eyes if you want," he said softly. "Some people tell me that helps."

It felt like I had agreed to play a round of Russian Roulette. I did as he said anyway. I closed my eyes and went far, far away in my head.

I went numb.

###

I was never supposed to see Liam again. In my head, that night he took me to his beautiful Brooklyn mansion in the sky was supposed to be a story I'd never tell a soul. A secret. A one-time thing.

I should have made it harder to find me.

I was an easy score; Liam didn't have to do much hunting to put us face-to-face again. Tracking me down only required him returning to the place he'd found me originally. I could tell right away that he'd come back to that café in search of me. They way he swept a scrutinizing gaze across the compact shop as soon as he stepped in was a dead giveaway; he looked like 5-0 out to bag a criminal. No doubt it was the first, and only, place he'd looked.

People walked in and out of the glass door. It wasn't the kind of place that drew in large numbers; mostly locals needing a late-night pick-me-up after dinner. It was almost like I felt him when he approached the entrance because as soon as the door closed behind him, I'd looked up. Exact timing, like I'd been expecting him.

Even from my position in the cut I noticed right away that he was shaven. I skimmed my eyes over dark clothes that could make him blend in with the night. He wore all black except his grayish desert boots. Leather jacket, hoody, t-shirt and jeans.

That night he didn't waste a single beat eye-fucking me while I nursed my hot drink. Liam had a different plan that night. He came right over to the little nook I was seated in and pulled out the small chair opposite mine. Bold. I tried to play it cool and not let my expression change too much when I lifted my chin to meet his eyes. But as he struggled to settle his long legs under the table I felt like he knew exactly what his mere presence had done to me. I could have sworn he could see just how my skin prickled, how my muscles tensed, how my nipples perked up. Panic rose inside of me like the hot water and steam of a geyser.

He smiled, easy and smooth. "Same spot."

"Same drink."

"Same time."