Ted: Part 4

If it's possible to hate someone more just by looking at their house...then that's what happened when I stepped in Johan's place. It was small first off. It was dim and there was a flickering light. The colors of the walls were so plain and they had a scratchy carpet. 5 children were running around. I felt cramped in my own house and there was only 4 of us plus our help. But 8 people living in this hobbit hole?

"Yeah come on in." Johan said when he opened the door. "I would usually say 'mi casa es su casa'  but you're not really welcome here." He turned his back and walked toward the stairs. I could have strangled him then and there. I followed him up the stairs and cursed when my foot sank down on a loose step. "Watch out for the loose step." He called carelessly.

'Keep your cool.' I told myself.

"I must ask you to refrain from using foul language here, as you can see there are children." Johan muttered just as three of the kids ran past and into one of the upstairs rooms. He rolled his eyes and walked into the room. "Out!" He called.

"Aw but Jojo!" They chorused.

"Out!" He said again.

"But we know you have candy! Mom won't let us have any! How come you can?!" Said the smallest of the three.

"Because I'm mature and I don't run around like a lunatic when I have it. Now get out before I call your mom in here."

They frowned and walked toward the door. I moved aside to let them out.

"Are you one of Johan's friends? One of them stopped and asked me.

"No." I said.

"Then why are you here?" Another asked.

"Out!" Johan yelled.

I could swear the small one gave me the evil eye as they walked out.

Johan sat down on his bed in a huff and pointed to a desk chair. "Sit there."

I hated being ordered around-no less by a nerd- but I composed myself and walked to it. Just as I sat down the door burst open.

"Johan!" A woman said she looked to be in her late 30's with a stern but kind gaze. She was tall and definitely Latina. She looked nothing like Johan.

"Amie." Was all he said.

"What's with all the screaming?"

"Maxine, Leanne, and Tina were bouncing all over my room looking for candy.".

"Well calm them down. Put on a movie or something."

"Why can't you? I'm trying to...."

She cut him off with a look. "I'm busy with stuff."

"Alright I get it." He put down his textbook and got up.

The woman looked at me. "Sorry for the distraction." Then she turned and left. I sat thoroughly annoyed at the constant distractions. I just wanted to get this dumb project over with.

Johan left the room calling "don't touch anything" over his shoulder. I rolled my eyes and sat back in the desk chair. I looked around and my eyes fell on a small framed photo of a woman with dark black hair and green eyes. She was standing in front of the Eiffel Tower with a little boy who looked almost identical. With a start I realized that must be Johan and his mom. So he must be adopted. I was in this thought when he walked back in the room.

"I thought I told you not to touch anything!" He snatched the picture from my hand and placed it on top of his bookshelf. I strained from rolling my eyes again and picked up my chemistry book mentally scolding myself. I don't care who that woman is or why Johan was adopted. Maybe she died or couldn't take care of him anymore....