Ted: Part 6

Today was the day we had to present the project and I was ready to get it over with, ready to be away from Johan. That kid was messing with my head without even saying anything to me. I thought back to what I had said yesterday and felt my face go red again. I wanted to bang my head on the table. I've never opened up to anyone before in my life and to him off all people? I didn't know what I was thinking. I vaguely heard the people presenting at the front of the class. I was to involved in my own thoughts until I heard the teacher call:

"Johan Mull and Ted Baxter!"

I grabbed my note cards and walked to the front of the room, glancing over at Johan when he got up there. Something seemed off. He was paler than usual and was shaking. Poor kid must have glossophobia or something. He would have to suck it up because he is speaking first.

"Um...o-our project i-is...-" he stammered and that's as far as he got. It was painful to watch that so I stepped in.

"Our project deals with chemical reactions." I started shooting a glare at Johan. Hanging his head, he walked around and started to demonstrate the project as I explained it. There were many ooohh's and ahhh's when Johan turned off the light and our Chem project made sparks and mini fireworks. I was shocked. This seemed like a middle school level project to me. But I was satisfied with the A we earned so I decided not to complain. I saw Johan sit back at his desk and put his head in his hands. I decided not to feel bad, if he told me he had a fear of speaking out I probably wouldn't have made him do it. Probably. That was pretty funny to watch...I thought, then mentally hated myself.

"Class dismissed. Good job everyone!" Our chemistry teacher yelled as the bell rang, signaling the end of the class. I picked up my books, waited until the class started to clear out then walked toward the door, only to have my way blocked by Johan.

"Hey listen..." He started but I stepped around him. "Wait!" He called. I didn't look back, I walked forward until I ran into Jake.

"Hey man! Long time no see!" He said as energetic as always.

"You saw me last Friday Jake." I reminded him.

"Yeah well. Details." he waved my off. "What was that back there? Was that weird nerd pestering you again?" Jake asked cracking his knuckles. "I'll set him straight."

"No!" I said a little too quickly. I mentally hit myself. "I'm gonna take care of him. The nerd was supposed to present our project but he's too freaking socially awkward. His poor soul couldn't handle the pressure. He was trying to apologize."

Jake roared with laughter. "He's such a dork! You should have gave him one right to the head."

"Yeah. I should have." I said but I guess I didn't sound too enthusiastic because Jake was looking at me weird. I opened my mouth to say something but was saved when a feminine voice called out "Ted!" I looked around to see Alex running toward me. I opened my arms and she ran straight into them. I held her tight and breathed her in trying to find some feelings in my actions. I missed my girlfriend, I really did. She was on vacation with her parents to Jamaica. We texted pretty often but I just can't find it in myself to have any true emotions for her and I know she feels the same way. We really like each other but had both agreed that after high school we are going to go our separate ways and find our soulmates. Well, she would now. I bit back a wave of jealousy. I wish that option was still help open for me.

"Ted?" Alex asked and waved her hand in front of my face.

"Hmm?" I asked.

"Don't take it personally Alex." Jack said. "He's been spacing out a lot recently."

She looked at me concerned but shook it off. "Anything interesting happen while I was gone?"

My mind flashed back to that locker room. "Nope. Not a thing." I lied through my teeth. I hugged her tight. "I missed you Alex."