Chapter 1- The Scary Truth

Hey Guys! I just want to let you know that although this chapter is mainly dealing about a murder and stuff, but the rest of the book will be a romance! It's a little slow at first but don't give up.

 Enjoy!

Chapter 1

It was 7:15 when Peter called my name. “Jamie!” Peter screams, rushing down the stairs and into the kitchen. I stand hovering over the sink, washing dishes from our recently passed lunch. “Jamie! Jamie!”

“Peter! Peter! Peter!” I yell back in mock annoyance.

Peter is my little brother. He's 14, with blonde hair and blue eyes. Californian boy if you ask me. He always seems to have so much energy. He's so bubbly and is easily entertained, just like myself.

He comes up to where I’m standing, trying to speak, opening his mouth over and over but nothing seems to come out. This is so unusual, I can't help but wonder what is going on; we Cansas' are never at a loss for words. Instead, he just hands out the phone and I grab it. "He won't tell me." Is all he manages to stutter out.

Confused, I put the phone to my ear. “He- Hello?” I ask into the receiver.

“Yes. Is this Jamie Cansas?” A man’s voice seems to loud for the moment Peter and I seem to be living in. Although right now I know nothing, I have a gut feeling something bad has happened, I just know it.

“Yes.” I try to breath, but a couple seconds feels like a couples minutes and breathing seems unnecessary at the moment.

“Hello, this is Chief Paul Dover. Is there any chance you can come down to the police station? It appears your father is in quite a sticky situation.”

“What do you mean?” I look into Peter’s eyes; I can tell he’s terrified. He looks like the 8 year old boy he once was years ago. Scared, lonely. After my mother divorced my dad 6 years ago, Peter went from a ‘momma’s boy,’ to ‘total jock’ in the short amount of time till now.

Once again,  the man’s voice booms into my ear. “There’s no easy way to say this,” he pauses, “We think your father may have killed someone.”

At first what the chief says goes in one ear and out the other. But his words make a 180 and come back into my head I begin to decipher what he trying to say. My grasp loosens from the phone and it falls to the floor with a clank. I watch it slightly bounce as it hits the tile floor, refusing to look up.

Peter grabs my shoulder after what feels like forever and shakes me. Slowly, I look up at him and instantly look right back down. I can’t stand to look at my little brother.

I watched him grow for so long, and for so long he was the pest that followed me everywhere I went, up until his recent change of lifestyle. Sometime over the years he’s grown taller than me. A whole foot. But now I’m glad he’s here next to me, because if not I’d fall apart. And I can’t do that. Not in front of Peter. I’ve practically raised him for the past 6 years. And if I fall apart, he won’t be able to take care of himself. I’ll have to stay strong for the both of us.