Chapter Fifty-Three ~Alexa~

He pulled into the parking lot of the most run-down motel I’d ever seen. I couldn’t focus for long on the blinking sign, the peeling paint, or the vinegar smell of the cheap cover-up paint as we stepped through the door that was barely swinging on one hinge. Jay’s voice echoed through my head just as it had echoed through the empty room, how he begged me to stop. His body still fell before my eyes; his last kiss stayed warm upon my lips. The fire still coursed through my body at the thought of him and me together; a fire that would cool to ashes. I killed it. I killed him. And I didn’t even know why.

                “Can I help you?” Among the scene of the hotel, the perfectly clean, well-dressed woman behind the counter was a sight.

                “We, uh, need a place to spend the night.” Aidan cupped his hand over the back of his neck. His brilliant eyes showed through the mop of hair on his head. Something about them was uncertain, pained almost. His chest moved up and down, quite rapidly I thought, for the situation. Unless he was just that uncomfortable talking to the woman, or maybe he was that uncomfortable around me…

                “You need a room?” The woman’s mouth curved into a warm smile, even though her eyes were cool and judging. I could see Aidan’s fingers clench onto the counter where he’d positioned them as soon as we’d arrived.

                “Yes,” I nodded. His head shot to me. It almost made me uncomfortable how his eyes looked to helpless, so concerned, so surprised.

                The woman looked away from us to scan the computer screen that immediately lit up her face. I hadn’t realized how dark it had gotten in the past few minutes. The sun sets fast. I’d learned to welcome the darkness. “I’ll give you two the best we’ve got,” the woman stated. She tossed a key onto the counter. “Would you like another key?”

                “One is fine,” Aidan stuttered. “How much is this going to cost exactly?” He shifted to lift his wallet from his pocket. I was going to offer to pay; it would make me feel better about owing him for saving my life, until I remembered that I had been abducted and had no money whatsoever.

                “For just one night, hon?” The woman eyed him, almost as if she were flirting. Aidan nodded, ignoring her curious eyes. I couldn’t help but grin. She leaned closer to him. “Thirty-five dollars, but I could give you a slight discount,” she said, grinning.

                Aidan raised his eyebrows. “Oh yeah? How much?”

                “Well, my boss would kill me if I went under thirty, but for you guys I could drop it down to twenty-five. I’ll make up the extra myself.”

                I tensed. Aidan grinned at me, opening his wallet. “Thanks, it’s much appreciated.”

                As Aidan continued to pull out dollar bills, she continued the conversation, “I wish we’d have more patrons like you. Young and responsible, I mean. I haven’t seen you around here, just passing through are we?” She smiled, watching Aidan pull out a few more dollars.

                “Yeah,” I stepped in, narrowing my eyes, “and we aren’t planning on returning.”

                The woman eyed me. “Thanks,” Aidan said, grabbing the key and pulling me down the hallway behind him. “What was that about?” He cast a glance to me.

                “She was totally flirting with you,” I shook my arm from his grasp, even though I’d wished he’d turn around and pull me to him, holding me tighter.