Chapter Twelve ~Alexa~

I stepped through the door to find Jay sitting at a booth shaking his head and grinning at the boy behind him. It was like he heard something stupid, but it still made him laugh so he hid it by shaking his head. I watched his eyes sweep across the room until they locked on me. He smiled and gestured me over, saying something to his friend.

                “Hi, I’m Trey,” Jay’s friend said as I approached the booth. He held out his hand and I shook it. His skin was rough and weathered, yet he was still pale as a ghost. He had kind of an emo look to him. He had long black hair that was parted so it covered his left eye with a chain laced tightly around his neck. He was wearing all black, from his earring to his socks, and I thought I could just make out a trace of black eyeliner around his eyes, well the one I could see anyways.

                “Alexa,” I replied to him quite awkwardly after a few moments of silence which was filled by my examining. He grinned at me. He had the same sideways grin that Jay possessed.

                “I know,” he winked and started to walk toward the door. “Well, I’ll leave you two alone,” he called over his shoulder. “It’s about time to be leaving anyway.” He nodded toward Dale, who was tending to another customer at the counter, and walked out the door.

                Jay gestured for me to sit and I slid into the booth across from him. I smiled. “Nice friend you got there.”

                He laughed. “Don’t worry; he’s not as creepy as he looks,” he said, flashing me a sideways grin.

I smiled. “Like you?” He opened his mouth to protest, but I cut him off. “How about we get something to eat, I’m starving.” I looked back up at him, matching his sideways grin with my own.

                “Sounds good,” he said, picking up the menus and handing one to me. I was so focused on the menu’s colorful descriptions of food, which were starting to make my mouth water that I didn’t notice the figure standing next to me until Jay said something. I looked up to see Dale smiling down at me. He had an extremely radiant smile that lured you into smiling back no matter what mood you were in. I grinned up at him.

                “Nice to see you back,” he said cheerfully, “what can I get for you this time? Are you in the mood for an omelet? I just got some fresh eggs in this morning.”

                “Okay, you’re too good at this,” I said, handing him my menu. He smiled and took it.

                “Anything special you’d like in it?” he asked, still smiling. I wondered how someone could seem so happy all the time.

                “Surprise me,” I said leaning back on the booth. I felt the cushion squish down to fit the shape of my back.  

                He smiled and turned to Jay. “I’ll have whatever this is,” he said pointing to the menu.

                “Ah, the breakfast burrito. Ham or sausage?”

                “Well why don’t you just put breakfast burrito? I can’t even pronounce that! Oh, ham,” he said obviously embarrassed.

                “The people who designed the menu said it would sell better this way. I don’t really understand it myself,” he laughed. “Either of you want drinks?”

                “I’ll take a coffee,” I said, noticing the creamer and sugar on the table. It was definitely no Starbucks like back at home, but it would have to do.

                “Water’s fine,” Jay said, smiling at me. Dale trotted off back into the kitchen and I smiled back at him.

                “What?” I said playfully, keeping my tone light.

                “Nothing,” he said turning to his placemat. “I was thinking; if you’re the kind of person that I think you are… We could go swimming.”

                “Swimming? Are you insane? It’s like freezing out!”

                “Well it’d be in a few hours, when it gets warmer, and come on. It’d be fun. You know you want too.” I arched my eyebrows to form an are you serious? look. “Come on. You don’t have to go in very far,” he paused. “You know what?”

                “What?” I challenged.

                “I dare you,” he said, smirking.

                “Oh you do?” I paused. His smirk reminded me of something. But I couldn’t remember what…the dream. My nightmare. He reminded me of the man that killed her. Chills suddenly racked my spine. His concerned look snapped me back into reality. My world was still spinning from the adrenaline rush that accompanied my panic, and I didn’t realize he’d asked me if I was okay until he repeated it.

                “Are you okay?” he asked, leaning in closer to me.

                “Yeah,” I flashed him a cocky grin to try and erase the nightmare that was replaying in my head, “Well, I guess I have to swim now.” All the concern left his face as he smiled at me.

                “I’ll meet you at the beach. You think you can remember how to get there?”

                “I remember,” I said as our food arrived. The salty aroma of eggs and ham filled my nostrils, making my mouth water and my stomach protest that I hadn’t eaten yet. Dale barely even had the chance to put the plate down before I’d taken the first bite.