Chapter 8

The sun was shining through the cracks of the boarded window beside her. She could hear the fast chirping of birds nearby.

"Good morning Sleeping Beauty. Did you have a nice nap?"

"Don't call me that," Gladys said, keeping her eyes on the ground.

"Ahh...that's right. You're more like Little Red Riding Hood. Little Red Riding Hood caught in the wolf's clutches. Are you worried that I'll eat you up?"

Gladys looked up at her abductor, her eyes pink from crying.

"Are you afraid your husband will believe my text message?" he scrolled down all the messages that were sent from Roberto Montoya. "He seems really worried about you."

"Let. Me. Go."

He laughed, "Now why would I want to do that when I just got you? Don't you know the rules? I thought it was common sense but I have to play with a toy before I can get tired of it."

"I'm not some toy! I want to go home!"

He pulled out a knife from his back pocket, "Well now, you're just hurting my feelings. I'm being as hospitable as I can be and you're still wanting to leave? Did I not offer you a drink?" He pointed to the glass of warm water next to her. "I even took your gag off of you. Women! They're never satisfied."

"You think this is funny?" Gladys' voice was low and gravelly. It was the voice she used on her trouble-making students.

"Don't you?" he flipped a chair around and sat across from her, "You're so serious. Why? Do you really think I'm going to kill you?"

"You're not?" a glimmer of hope shone in her eyes.

"I might not," he winked. "I don't like to make promises I can't keep."

A single tear slid down her cheek as she placed a hand on her stomach, "Please...I'm-I'm-"

"Pregnant? Yes, I know."

"How?"

He laughed and tapped her hand with the arm that had the wolf tattoo on it, "Your hand gave you away."

"I don't understand."

"You keep grabbing your stomach. It's what pregnant women do when they feel threatened."

Gladys frowned.

"You're not the first pregnant woman I've known," he confided.

"Or threatened?" Gladys blurted out.

He grinned, "That...and worse."

"What's your name?"

He laughed, "My aren't you suddenly interested? Does this mean we'll be best friends forever? Will we make matching bracelets? Or are you looking to dump the old ball and chain? I'm not opposed to having some fun with a preggo...unless she's showing. Now that's just awkward."

"What's your name?" Gladys repeated, ignoring his taunts.

"Hmmm...that's hard to say. I go by a lot of different names. I guess you can call me CJ for now. It'll makes things easier."

"CJ, I'm not sure why you took me but there's something you should know," Gladys said hoping she didn't sound as scared as she felt.

"What's that?"

"I'm married to a detective. My brother's a detective. My husband's best friend is also a detective. They will find me."

"Your faith is admirable. It really is. Hold on while I take a mental picture for myself. I want to remember this moment the next time I feel like laughing," he mimed taking a picture, even making a clicking sound with his mouth.