Chapter 9

Dolores loved a man that could cook. At least that's what she told Donovan when she saw him flipping pancakes.

"I know Dolores. You tell me that every day," he reminded her.

"I just wanted to make sure you knew," she winked. "I just know that a man that can make scrumptious food has to be scrumptious himself."

Donovan winced as he placed a stack of pancakes on a plate, "Dolores, I'm really busy. Maybe we can talk later."

"It's okay honey. I can help you if you want," she stepped closer to him and bumped her hip into his, "Let me show you how whip cream is supposed to be used."

Donovan watched in horror as Dolores sprayed a dollop of cream on her finger and shoved it in her mouth.

"Dolores!" Oliver's voice rang through the kitchen. "I told you to leave Donovan alone."

"Oh Oliver. I didn't do anything to him...yet."

Donovan shivered.

"Donovan doesn't like tigers," Oliver stepped in front of the young cook.

"It's cougars," Donovan whispered to him.

"Whatever. Any kind of cats," Oliver crossed his arms and frowned. "Dolores, you need to find someone your own age."

"But Dani said Donovan was lonely, Oliver. I was just trying to cheer him up."

"Dani said that?" Donovan choked back a groan. "How embarrassing! I thought she was kidding." 

"Actually, she didn't say you were lonely. She asked if I knew any young women to introduce you to."

"And?" Oliver asked.

"And I told her that I did but I wanted to find out his type first," Dolores patted her gray hair. "Clearly he's not into older women."

"I'm sorry Dolores," Donovan had the grace to look chagrined.

"It's alright darling. I understand. Not all men are ready for the sexy that is me."

Oliver laughed, earning him a glare from Dolores.

"In any event, I do know a few women your age if you're interested."

Donovan smiled, "That's okay. I decided this morning that I would focus more on my cooking instead of women. I figure that if I become a famous chef, I'll have women chasing after me for once."

Oliver patted Donovan's back, "That's right. Think positive. You won't date Dani but maybe you'll find someone."

Donovan looked away and Dolores laughed.

"Are you blushing Donovan?" the older woman asked.

"No, I'm just slowly dying of embarrassment."

She laughed again, "I love an honest man. If you ever change your mind about older women, let me know honey."

"I will," Donovan mumbled.

Oliver patted Donovan's back, "Cheer up. You never know when the woman of your dreams will crashing into your life."

"I'm sorry I'm late," Dani burst through the kitchen doors, tying an apron around her waist. "It was a crazy morning."

"Spent the night with that hunky detective, did we?" Dolores winked.

"Dolores!" Dani blushed and looked at Oliver and Donovan.

"Cover your ears," Oliver whispered to Donovan. "It must really hurt to hear her talk about her boyfriend since you like her."