Chapter 28

A slow smile spread across Calvin's face as he leaned closer to Dani.

"Is that what you thought I'd say?" Dani smirked, her hands shoving her brother away. "Why in the world would I go anywhere with you?"

Calvin scowled, taking a step back, "I'm being serious and you're being sarcastic. I thought you were smarter than this."

"Please explain why an intelligent person would agree to go who knows where with a complete stranger who claims to be my brother. If you really wanted to help me, you'd do it without any strings attached," Dani crossed her arms, staring into Calvin's eyes.

A few beats of silence passed before his body relaxed and his smile reappeared, "Fair enough. I'll help you. No strings attached. I'll do it since we're family."

"That's not what-"

"Now Dani, I don't want you hurt. You're my sister. Still, if you want my help without leaving this place then you have to live with the consequences of your actions. I have to warn you that you're going to stay in danger as long as you stay here. Understand?"

"I don't even know what you can help me with."

Calvin chuckled, "If you want to see a particular person's nightmares, I can make it happen."

"That's impossible. There are too many factors that play into the nightmares I see."

"What are you talking about?"

"Well...don't they have to be sleeping too? In order for me to see their nightmares?" Dani asked.

"Is that what you thought?" Calvin laughed, shaking his head. "You made it sound as though you didn't need my help earlier but the truth is you're all talk. You don't know a thing about how these dreams work, do you?"

He waited for Dani to respond. When she didn't, he continued, "What are nightmares made of? Fears. Worries. The stuff that makes our stomachs coil and clench. When you touch someone, you have the ability to absorb some of that fear. You probably don't realize how much you're helping these people by stealing some of their fear."

"Stealing?"

"Well it's not like they know you're invading something so private. Whoever has the strongest fear probably gives you the nightmare which you end up seeing. Sometimes, the fear is so strong it eats at a person in which case you can tap into it at anytime. If you're really talented, you can steal the fears of someone you didn't even touch."

Dani's mouth was slightly open in amazement, "How?"

"Energy attracts energy. Is there someone's nightmares you want to see?" Calvin asked, the corner of his lips tugged upward. "I see that greedy look in your eyes, Dani. You do want to see someone's nightmares. Someone special. I can help you. All you have to do is admit that I'm your brother."

Thoughts of helping Jax finally catch his brother motivated her to agree, "Fine, you're my brother."

"You don't sound like you mean it," Calvin pouted.

"You do realize it's going to take time for me to accept you as family, right? I'll also want a blood test to confirm it."

Calvin nodded, "That's fine as long as you're open to the idea that I'm your brother. Although, I'm curious, Dani. Why do you want to see his nightmares? You seem like such a timid type to go against someone with such a strong negative energy."

"You know whose nightmares I want to see?" Dani gasped.

"Of course. I thought I mentioned that I did more than see nightmares."

Dani's eyes darted around Calvin, avoiding him.

"Are you afraid of me now?" Calvin asked softly.

"No."

"Liar."

Dani crossed her arms again and sighed, "So now what?"

"First, you tell me why you want to see his nightmares. Don't lie to me either because I know the truth. I just want to hear it from you."

"If I'm being honest, I want to stop all the madness around me. Seeing nightmares is hard enough without having to deal with a crazy murderer on the loose. Also, if I could help Jax in some way...even just a little, I want to try."

"So admirable my sister is."

Dani ignored him, "Jax is trying to catch his brother Carter. We need some clues."

"Carter Michaels is your target?"

"Yes."

Calvin frowned, "I don't think this will work. He's too strong for you."

"So what?"

It was Calvin's turn to sigh, "Some people have high energy forces and some people have low forces. You seem to fall in the latter group. I don't think you can do it."

Dani's eyes narrowed, "Don't you get it? I have to stop Carter Michaels. You think I won't do it. I can. I will. I'll track Carter down though his dreams. I hope he's ready because hunting season has begun."

Calvin rubbed his hands together, "Those almost sound like fighting words."

"Are you going to help me or not?"

Calvin nodded, "I will but it won't be easy."

"I didn't ask if it would be easy," Dani raised her chin and pushed her shoulders back.

"If you want me to help you see his dreams, you're going to need something he's touched. Something meaningful to him."

"How...how am I supposed to get something like that? I've never even met him?" Dani asked.

"That's for you to figure out. Once you have it in your possession, come and knock at my door. I'll help you then."

Before Dani could respond, Calvin turned around and opened his apartment door. He glanced back at Dani and grinned, "You know...maybe our mother's dreams are wrong."

"What are you talking about?"

"Our mother thinks that someone around you may cause your death. Maybe she has it the other way around."

"I don't understand," Dani said.

"Instead of someone causing your death maybe it's you who will end up causing the death of someone around you. Billy died. You were friends with the Maestro. Let's not forget that waitress you were friends with. She ended up in a world of trouble. I've thought about this before and I can't help but think that you attract danger. Is anyone safe around you? Or are you going to bring death to the people that care about you?" Calvin shrugged his shoulders and flashed a toothy smile, "Anyway, I'll see you around soon, Sis."

------------

"Are you sure you're okay Jax?" Melissa Michaels asked her son for the seventh time within a fifteen minute time-span.

"I'm fine mother. I told you, you don't have to come to the hospital. The news sensationalized everything," Jax said.

"Well I don't mind coming, it's just your father is in one of his moods again. He holed himself up in his study. I told him it was a special occasion. It's a shame you're in the hospital. When will you be released?"

"I'm not too sure. What special occasion are you talking about?"

"Oh, I wanted it to be a surprise," Jax's mother groaned. "Well I guess it's too late now."

"What surprise are you talking about?"

"You're not going to believe it Jax," his mother smiled.

"What is it?" Jax asked, his patience wearing thin.

"Your brother Carter is finally here. He's joining us for dinner!"