Chapter 25

"You can see people's dreams too?" Dani paled as she stared at Calvin who had just removed his glasses.

"Surely you didn't think you were the only one, did you?" he smirked at her expression. "Ahh...I see that you did. How unexpected. Didn't your mother explain everything to you when you were younger"

"What are you talking about? My mother? She didn't know anything about my nightmares."

Calvin frowned, "She said she didn't? Now that's strange."

"Why is that strange?"

"Because she can see people's nightmares too. Actually, our mother can do a whole lot more than that."

"Is this a nightmare?" Dani whispered to herself, trying to pinch her left arm.

Calvin chuckled, "How surprising. You're not what I expected Dani."

"Let me get this straight. You want me to believe that you're my brother and both you and my mom can see people's nightmares?"

"That sums it up."

"Who's your father?"

"The same man that fathered you."

"You're lying!"

"Mom left you two behind not knowing I was inside her. By then it was too late. She had already made her escape."

"Why should I believe you?" Dani asked.

"Why not? What reason do I have to lie?"

Dani shook her head, trying to make sense of what he was saying, "So you pretended to act like one of my old friends thinking I'd get to know you and then what?"

"Then you'd come home with us," Calvin said.

"Us?"

"Me and mom. We're family."

"Listen, it's nice to know that you can also see people's nightmares but you're kind of freaking me out so can you say what you want to say and leave?" the back of Dani's knees bumped into a side table.

"Don't you want to know how I knew about Billy Gearson?" Calvin asked. "You old neighbor?"

Dani shook her head.

"It was in an article online. I've been keeping tabs on you, my big sister. When you told that reporter how great a friend Billy was and that you'd miss him, I thought you'd warm up to me if I resembled him. It's why I wore glasses. No matter what, you seemed scared of me."

"This is just bizarre," Dani mumbled. "I don't have a brother."

"Yes, you do. You have me. I'm your family, Dani."

"You even moved into old apartment."

"Yes."

"You don't think that's creepy?" Dani asked.

Calvin shook his head, "People live and die all the time. Why shouldn't I live there?"

"What do you want from me?" Dani asked. "You keep talking about family and all that but what exactly is it that you want?"

"I just want to help you like a brother would."

"Then why the stuttering neighbor act? It makes me not want to trust you," Dani crossed her arms. "You're like that guy from Harry Potter who everyone thought was sweet but ended up being the bad guy."

Calvin tossed back his head and laughed, the sound filling the room and echoing around Dani, "Harry Potter? I knew I'd like you. I'm not the bad guy here, Dani. I'm here to help you. It's hard for people like us to connect so it's important that we make the most of it when we do. I wanted you to warm up to me before I told you who I was."