Chapter 11

The last week went by very quickly. My parents eventually accepted my reasons for disappearing. They still haven't inform Dilton that they have found me, which I am pleased about. I want to knock the wind from him when he sees me in two weeks. Yes you heard me. My last book of my trilogy is being released in 10 days. I tell you 10 days. Grace wants me to have some book signing for the release. She believes this will push all sales to double making my chance to the award even greater.

My parents agreed to stay until I am leaving. I was currently sitting in my office checking on my accounts and making relevant payments for the week. As i was about to switch my laptop off i received a notification of new mail in my inbox.

From: Global Publishers
Date: 21 May 2014
To: M Mayfield
Subject: Award

Hi Mary,

So after we talked about your publishing date a few thing changed. For one your book is already in print the first ten thousand copies will be released on the 25th May 2014. Therefore your first book signing will be on the 25th May 2014. :-) I know that I am pushing my luck by publishing earlier but the CRA board informed me that they have to make their decision by the end of June. That will give us a month to promote sales on your latest release.

Then I need you in the States by the 23rd May 2014 we need to discus how we are going to do your grand reveal. Hope you will make it. I can already see your fans going bananas when they hear that you will reveal yourself and do book signings.

Then let me know if you need me to arrange your flights as well as accommodation. I can't wait.

Last but not least I would like to ask for permission to leak to the news that the famous M Mayfield writer will be revealing herself on the 25th with the release of her third book book of her trilogy.

P.S. Your book is great. I can see another best seller!!

Regards

Grace

She does take her time. But I have known Grace to impulsive. She makes sure that I can't refuse.

From: M Mayfield
Date: 21 May 2014
To: Global Publisher
Subject: Award - a bit pushy?

Hi Grace,

I can see your game plan you know. But I am relieved. Sure you can leak the information. I will give us a better outcome. And no sweat I am ready for this.

Thank you for all the support see you in two days.

Mary Mayfield (Elizabeth Cage)

I slowly gather my items from my office preparing them to be packed up. I know I can tag along a few items when I fly with my parents. That's the luxury of have a private jet. In the past week I started my preparations for my departure as i will be gone for some time. I paid my loyal works six months in advance and asked them to come by every second day. Off course they insisted accompanying me to the state. Celia had this long list of reasons so did Joe. So now I am contemplating whether or not to drag them along.

My parents took Matthew to the beach today. He just loves all the attention he is getting, my parents also enjoy him. I am a bit worried for my dad with his heart but no knowing what the full problem is I think it is more over the guilt that I could have caused him his heart attack. I never did touch that subject, although my mother did try a few time to to changed the topic to it I just changed it back to Matthew. That was one way I could distract her easily.

I hear noises coming from the front door which tells me the three of them are back. I can hear Matthew giggling. The sound of his happiness makes my heart feel light. Matthew and I have been a happy little family for the past time but he needs all the love he can get. He is my whole world and his happiness is all that matters to me. I slowly make my way down the stair towards the noise. I have some arrangements to make and so has my father.

"Mom, Dad, hope you had fun and Matthew here didn't tire your old bones" I say as I enter the living room giving them a genuine full blown smile.

"These old bones can still keep might I say" my father answers through his laughter.

"Dad I got a mail informing me that I need to be in the states by the 23rd can you arrange the jet for us" I ask shyly.

"Sure we can. But why the rush?"

"Well I have my first book signing on the 25th"

"That is great news honey I am so proud of you. Come I will help you pack. Eric did you hear our baby is coming home" My mom said.

Now my biggest fear is days away. Dilton will know I am back as soon as they make my identity known. I know he will know that Matthew is his son by just looking at him, I mean my parents noticed as soon as they saw him although they only mentioned it after their third day here.

I will need to take Celia and Joe with I can't expect my mom to baby sit him every time I have a book signing and I think Joe will be able to give us some sort of protection. I walked towards the couple where Joe is helping Celia preparing lunch for all of us.

"Celia, Joe, I have decided that I would like for you to accompany me on my trip. I know it is short notice but we are leaving tomorrow morning. That is if you are still willing to go" Joe was the first to speak.

"Sure we will be going. Is there anything I can do before we leave?"

"I think I will appoint a company to do checks on the house every now and again. But we will need to lock all valuables away that we do not take with us. Celia you need to make sure that the food in the fridge that will spoil needs to be delivered to the orphanage in Cape Town. Then you two need to pack. If I think of something else I will let you know"

"Sure ma'am"

I left the kitchen and made my way towards my bedroom. I need to pack but I don't want to take all -my cloths i will need to sort through them. What I need I will get there. As I entered my bedroom I spotted my jewelry box on my dressing table. I haven't opened it for two years. Slowly making my way there I take deep breaths.

Reaching for the jewelry box I drag it closer to myself. Feeling a bit anxious I lift the lid slowly revealing all the jewelry Dilton gave me. Sticking out like a sore thumb between all the rest is my wedding band and engagement ring he gave me. just looking at it brought tears to my eyes. I missed him everyday of my life. Every time I look at Matthew my heart aches for his father.

"Oh Dilton what is going to happen when you find us. Will I be able to forgive you? Will you hate me for never saying anything about our baby boy. Will you be pleased that I named him after you?" I whispered to myself as I hold my rings between my fingers.