Chapter 1

Chapter 1
~*~*~*~

~One Week Later~

I woke up to ribbons of light that leaked through the curtains and fell upon my face. With squinted eyes, I glanced over at my alarm clock as it read 8:37 am. I stayed lying in bed, too comfortable to move. Debating in my head whether or not to get up.

I'm usually not this lazy, but not only was it a Saturday, it was also the beginning of summer. For once I was able to sleep for more than four hours. My weeks normally consisted of school work, track, softball, church, my part time job, chores, and the list goes on. "Relaxing" had become something of a foreign nature to me, especially with the finals and exams I had to deal with a week ago. 

I shifted my body so that I was laying on my side and pulled my knees up to my chest. I wrapped my arms around my knees, basking in the warmth and comfort.

'Maybe I could sleep in for another 10, 20, or 30 minutes,' I thought to myself as my eyes slowly drifted closed.

I took a deep breath, inhaling through my nose when, suddenly, it hit me. The smell of eggs, bacon, sausage, and country fried potatoes wafted through the air.

Never mind!

I threw the covers off of me, unlocked my door and headed for the stairs. The closer I got to the kitchen, the stronger the aroma of food lingered in the air. I could smell biscuits. Mmm.. and gravy. I turned the corner into the kitchen after reaching the bottom of the stairs, and there my mom stood at the stove. She was accompanied by the sizzling sound of bacon cooking and my dad sat at the kitchen table behind her.

Breakfast in the morning was a huge rarity in this house. Nobody ever had time as everyone was always busy. My parents' lives were mainly consumed by their work in the mornings. My dad's job as an engineer had him leave for work at 5:00 am, sometimes even earlier. My mom would leave around 6:30-7:00 am. She's a financial advisor.

On the weekends they would either work overtime, run errands, or travel on business trips. They were out of the house more often than not. So, being in their company this weekend caught me a bit off guard.

In a good way.

"Good morning," my mom said.

"Mornin'," I replied groggily.

"Did you get enough sleep?" my dad asked from the kitchen table. In front of him were a pile of envelopes, most likely a bunch of bills.

"Yeah, surprisingly." I smiled even though neither of them were looking at me. I pulled out a chair across from my dad and sat down at the table. My stomach growled and I immediately wrapped my arms around my stomach hopelessly trying to muffle the sound. My parents were too preoccupied by what they were doing to even notice.

I sat in silence for a little bit, but sitting here, doing nothing, at the kitchen table made me feel completely helpless. "Mom, do you need any help?" I asked.

"No, thats okay. I got it, you relax."

"M'kay." I kicked my feet back and forth, unsure of what to do. With a busy life, I never realized before that staying still was not one of my strong suits. I hadn't even sat here for a minute and I was already feeling restless. I stood up and walked to the stove, grabbing the wooden spoon to stir the fried potatoes.

My mom smiled. "Thank you, sweetie."

"Of course." Silence followed again. A question crossed my mind that I needed to know. I had to ask. "So, mom," I began as I tapped the spoon on the pan, removing any excess potatoes before putting the lid back on. "What's the occasion?" I asked casually.