2-Percy

Annabeth and I sit on the shoreline of Montauk, letting the gentle ocean waves roll over our feet. It's about Midnight and the gentle starlight shines

"You know, when you went missing, I talked to the ocean. Every day. It felt like I was talking to you."

I grin and she puts her head on my shoulder. I pull her close and she shivers.

"So, how's Olympus?" I ask, sending her into a long string of confusing words I just don't quite understand.

"...So to sum it up, pretty great." She says, looking into my eyes. I give her a warm smile and lay back. She lays back too.

"See Hercules?" She asks.

"Um, hmm. Oh! There!" She laughs.

"Perce, that's Pegasus."

"Oh." I blush.

"See any more?"

"Zoe. Zoe Nightshade." I say, pointing up at the beautiful constellation and remembering her last words.

She elbows me in the ribs, whispering. "Only you would be dumb enough to take the weight of the sky, you Seaweed Brain."

"Hey, we both got out alive!"

She laughs and crinkles her nose.

"I miss Thalia." She says randomly.

"Me too, Wise Girl. Wonder when we'll see her again."

"I miss Luke, too." She whispers shakily.

I frown slightly. "You've got me,-"

"And that's all I need." She finishes with a smile.

I think Dad is getting a little upset because suddenly a huge wave washes over the beach and drenches us. Annabeth coughs up water.

"Sorry." I say, feeling a little bad. Her nice clothes are now mud-stained. She pulls a peace of seaweed out of her hair and drapes it on my head.

"There you go, Seaweed Brain!" I laugh. I'm glad I have Annabeth.

I punch her playfully in the shoulder.

"So, what do you want to do tomorrow? Mom said she'll take us anywhere but we can take my car." Mom sticks her head out the door.

"Perce? Can you come here for a second?"

"Sure!" I call, slowly getting up.

"Be right back." I tell Annabeth.

Inside, Mom hugs me so tightly I thing I'm going to pop. She shakes with silent laughter -no, wait- she's crying.

"Mom? A-are you okay?"

She buries her face in my shirt just like Annabeth. Shaking her head, she looks up at me, her eyes filled with tears.

"Mom. Tell me. Tell me what's wrong."

"P-P-" She splutters between sobs.

"Parrot? Pufferfish? Pan? Poodle? Pet? Power? Poseidon? Pluto? Pa-"

It hits me suddenly. I wrap my arms around her and she hiccups loudly.

"Paul" Her voice cracks.

"What happened?" I put my chin on her head and she shakes with more tears.

"Goode...accident...hospital"

"Oh, Mom." I feel awkward because I'm a head taller than her and comforting her.

There's a knock at the door.

"Perce?" Annabeth sounds concerned.

I let go of my mom and poke my head out the door.

"I heard crying. Is everything okay?" She asks.

"Uh, not really. Be out in a second."

I shut the door and help Mom to bed. I flick off her light, shut her door, and wipe the tears out of my eyes. I'm sure Paul will be fine, but seeing my mom like that really tears me up.

I step outside, still barefoot, and explain everything to Annabeth.

"Is she okay? Should we stay tomorrow or does she want some alone time?"

"She's more of an independant person. I think we should steer clear of Montauk for tomorrow."

"Mmm. Well, are you ready for bed?"

"Of course not!" I cry, pulling my Best Friend in the world across the sandy shores of my paradise.

We sit on the shoreline, still staring at the stars. Life is hard. Life is horrible. Life is awful. Life is a blessing and a curse. Life is beauty and hatred. Sometimes life is just too hard. Thank the gods I have Annabeth Chase, my Wise Girl.

"Seaweed Brain?"

"Yes, Wise Girl?"

"I love you."

"I love you too."

And with that, we both drift off, hand in hand, on the lonely shores of Montauk.