Part 5

Chapter 5

Nathaniel kept his head bowed.  He could feel the two of them staring at his head.  Gritting his teeth together, he waited for the man to speak. 

"No need to bow your head at me," the man said with a chuckle.  "Our family is not the only powerful ones out there."

Nathaniel looked up at him with a small smile plastered on his face.  "I do not think it would be very wise to disrespect a family like yours, while in your land."

"Ainsely," the man said while putting his free hand out for Nathaniel to grab.

He kept his grip strong, but not in a way that would issue a challenge. "Nathaniel."

"Yes, I remember you," Ainsely said.  "You were the one who was promised to my sister, were you not?"

The woman standing next to Ainsely froze.  If Nathaniel wasn't good at picking up on other's actions, he would not have even noticed the movement.  What was it about those words in particular that the woman did not like?  Ignoring the question for the time being, Nathaniel sent the woman a charming grin.  "May I ask who this is?"

"This is A-" Ainsely started before the woman cut him off. "Anne, you may call me Anne."

Nathaniel sent her a genuine smile.  Either the lady was eager to make his acquaintance or she was hiding something.  If he was betting man, he would place his money on the latter.  Grabbing her hand, he placed it to his lips, lingering only for a moment.  His back straightened.  "It is a pleasure to meet you, Anne."

She smiled and attempted to tug herself from his grip.  Taking pity on her, he let her hand slip from his.  Nathaniel waited for her to speak, but once he realized she would keep silent, he turned toward Ainsely.  "We had a contract, but your sister found a way to change my father's mind.  I do not know what she told him, but I wish I did.  Any person who can make my father do something he does not wish must me magnificent."

"She is a wonderful woman.  Is she not, Anne?"

Anne looked at him with a pained smile.  "She has her flaws."

Ainsely laughed.  "You would speak about her like that?  I have heard that she can hear when someone speaks about her."

"Can she?" Nathaniel asked.  If it was true, then the woman had more power than people let on.  Could she really hear the whispers in the night when someone spoke her name?  It was a magic that the leader of this land was rumored to have, but none had spoken of his daughter possessing that particular power.

"Can she hear when someone speaks of her, Anne?" Ainsely asked, but the woman kept her mouth shut.  The man nudged his companion.  "Did you hear me, love?  I said can she hear when someone speaks of her?"

"Ainsely," the woman hissed.  Nathaniel glanced at the two.  Anne's fingers were digging into Ainsely's arm, but the smile stayed on the man's face.

"One more time, Anne, can she hear when someone speaks of her?"

"Yes! She can," she snarled while ripping her hand away from her companion's hold.  Sending Ainsely one last glare, she turned and ran.

"Damn," the man mumbled before glancing over and Nathaniel.  "I apologize for Anne's rude departure."

"Think nothing of it," Nathaniel replied while looking over Ainsely's shoulder as the woman weaved herself through the crowd. 

Ainsely stepped to the side, effectively blocking his view.  "She has many things on her mind; please do not blame her for the offense she made."

The Unknown ThiefOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara