Part 6

Chapter 6

She shifted her body as Daisy flapped her wings higher.  Aubrey always enjoyed this part of her adventures the most.  The way the wind whipped around her made her feel free, like nothing could touch her.  When in reality, this may be one of the most dangerous things she had ever done.  Looking down, she could see the houses and shops littering the land.  What would it be like to live in a place with no shops, where the people were one with the land and didn't mar it with buildings?

Daisy swooped down, causing Aubrey to tighten her hold and lean forward into the dragon.  The large wings expanded as they glided towards the ground.  Before they could land, Daisy was already shifting into a smaller form, this one the size of small dog.  It was the way the people liked to see her.  As a nonthreatening, small, smiling animal instead of the normal, large, terrifying creature she truly was.

Aubrey planted her feet firmly on the ground and glanced about at the caravans.  A few people spared her a glance or a nod, but for the most part, they finished their business.  Now wasn't the time for talk, at that moment, she needed to find out what the head of their group needed.  Aubrey had felt the call earlier at the ball, but now, it was tenfold.

Weaving through the crowd of gatherers, she stopped at the red covered caravan.  Aubrey didn't need to wait for an invitation; the woman inside had been the one to call her, and she would know that Aubrey had arrived.  Pushing the cloth back, she stepped in.  Immediately, she noticed the old woman lying in the corner.  Her hands were covering her eyes as sobs tore through the enclosed space. 

She was next to the woman before any thoughts could register in her mind.  Her hands wrapped around the woman's as she began to drag them from her face.  Black tears stained the woman's face.  Aubrey froze.  "What did you do, Cora?"

"I thought I could handle it, Abe," she said in her Romanian accent.

Aubrey sat down and covered her own eyes.  "What did you do?"

"A simple spell is all."

She peaked at the woman through her fingers.  "Explain, Cora.  Explain to me what you did so I may fix it."

"It was banishing spell, one for a man who came bearing a tainted future, but it only made matters worse for you.  This is not a problem that you should suffer for.  Let me take the repercussions of my actions."

"You took me in when I needed it.  You understood why I could not listen as you spoke of things better left unsaid.  You helped me, Cora, and I will not run from you when you need help.  Now, tell me his name."

The woman wiped her tears and straightened her spine.  Looking at Aubrey with a confident look, she replied, "He is a man with light colored hair.  He has the eyes that change, but does not know it.  His family may be powerful, but he always thought he was excluded from that power that is why he travels to your lands.  The future he holds is always bound to yours," she whispered, "and I should not have tried to change that."

"It came back at you?" Aubrey guessed with a nod.  It was what happened when one attempted to do magic beyond their ability. 

Cora shook her head, causing her gray hair to fling in every direction.  "It came back to you."

For the second time that night, Aubrey froze.  "Cora."

"I know, Abe. I know."

"How bad is it?" she snapped.

She winced as Cora flinched before backing up further into the wall.  No matter how much Aubrey tried to blend in, people, like Cora, could sense her power.  They knew it was under the surface, waiting to be released, and it frightened them.  Aubrey had never gotten used to the way they drew back in fear, but she was never surprised when they did.