Part 19

Chapter 19

“Why are you even here?” Nathaniel asked with narrow eyes as the man shot a variety of magic towards Aubrey’s door. 

Ainsely glanced over his shoulder.  “We are not using this time to bond.  It is what she wants, for us to become friends.”

“Has she done this to you before?” Slight amusement filled him.  Nathaniel already knew the answer, just as he already knew Aubrey.  Of course, the woman had done this before; there was no doubt in his mind. 

After a couple more minutes of Ainsely attempting to free them, the man let out a sigh.  Walking towards the pillows, he plopped down and stared at Nathaniel.  “Did you know that we have a similar reputation?”

“No,” Nathaniel answered, wondering where the conversation was going.

“I will give you an example,” Ainsely replied with a cold smile.  “Just today, I found out that a particular woman, whose interest we shared, had a brother, who happened to be very strong with magic despite his fragile looks.”

“Must you always talk that way?” Nathaniel mumbled. 

Ainsely shrugged.  “It is something that I have always done, especially to those I do not care for.”

“Let us be honest with one another,” Nathaniel said as he straightened his spine and waited for an onslaught of insults.  “What is it that you do not like about me?”

“It is simple,” Ainsely said with the same cold smile on his face.  “You have an interest in my sister, and I have a feeling that she is on her way to sharing it.”

“You hate me because I like Aubrey?”

“No.  I do not like you because we have similar reputations.”

Nathaniel shifted in annoyance.  “Would you just say it?”

“You want my sister for one thing, and Aubrey cannot handle that any longer.  The next man who is with her will be with her for life.  I will not have you breaking her heart while you move onto your next conquest.”

“How,” Nathaniel asked through clenched teeth, “do you know I wish to use your sister?  Can one not change?”

Ainsely fluffed the pillows beneath his body before settling onto his back with a sigh on contentment.  “I am sent here, a place which is considered to be the worse plane out there, because I spent time with a woman.”

“You slept with a lady; her brother was angry and sent you here?  Is that what you are saying?”

“Yes,” Ainsely said with a nod.  “Would you like to know the difference between the two of us?”

“What?” Nathaniel asked, humoring the man.

Ainsely smiled.  “Me, I know the way out, I know the way home, and I know how to use my magic to leave.  You, you would be stuck here for quite some time.  Oh, it may not be for long in our world.  Imagine it though.  You will return a changed man while the others stayed the same.  Whatever will you do when no one recognizes you any longer?”

Nathaniel kept silent as the man waited for his answers. Once Ainsely realized that Nathaniel would not answer, he shrugged before continuing.  “Leave her alone or I will make sure you stay here for a considerable amount of time.”

“How long is a considerable amount of time,” Nathaniel asked, “because I plan to be around your sister for as long as we both wish?”

“Nathaniel, it is not that I dislike you personally.  She is my sister.  There have been those who have hurt her, and I will not see that happen again.”