Part 17

Chapter 17

Aubrey glanced away from him.  Biting her lip, she remembered what the villagers had told her when she arrived the first time.  They had treated her much the same as they were treating Nathaniel now.  She had only thought of herself.  Sure, she had left to get rid of her curse, but it was for her.  She was tired of blurting the truth, tired of wondering how her words would affect the others.  Now, she understood that it was not just her that she needed to care about.  It had made her reckless.  Not caring what happened to her, she had done things that were not meant to be done.  Now, she understood how her actions affected people more than her words.  Her journey had allowed her to see this, but Nathaniel had always had things handed to him.

With him now away from everyone he knew, it would be different.  He wouldn't be able to rely on the others.  He would be able to think about his life, to wonder if what he was doing was right.  He would have time to change himself, if that was what he wanted. 

"Aubrey," someone whispered in her ear.

Without turning, she knew who it was.  "Hey, Alin."

"Do not let it dissuade you," he mumbled.  "He doesn't care for just himself.  We both know that."

"You cannot be sure."

Alin grabbed her arm and turned her to face him.  His eyes connected with hers.  "Are you dead?"

"No," she answered, feeling confusion take over.

"Where is Nathaniel?"  She pointed behind him.  "Where are his eyes?"

She looked over Alin's shoulder at the man and found his eyes on her.  "On us."

"No, Aubrey, on you."

"It means nothing," she disagreed.

Alin let out a sigh.  Leaning forward, he pressed a quick kiss to her lips.  "Where is he now?"

She blinked in shock.  Alin had kissed her; her friend had kissed her.  She opened her mouth to say something, but Alin was suddenly pulled away from her.  Nathaniel stood in front of her.  Reaching his hand out, he ran his thumb over her lips.  "Not him."

"What?"

"You do not belong to him," Nathaniel mumbled.  He glanced into her eyes, and she gasped.  His were a swirl, like her own usually were.  Did he realize what this meant?  He was getting closer to his power every day.  Soon, she would have to teach him how to hide his signature.

"Aubrey." She broke eye contact with him to glance over at Alin.  "Do you understand now?"

"I think I do," she whispered as the comforting feeling of Daisy wrapping around her leg kept her grounded.

"Good," Alin mumbled before glancing over at Nathaniel.  "I did it to make a point."

"I do not like your points," Nathaniel said in a clear, emotionless voice.

Alin took a step towards them before stopping.  Something flashed in his eyes and Aubrey knew he was thinking about talking his way out of the mess he had created.  Instead, he turned towards her and smiled.  "Maybe you should tell him."

She shook her head vigorously.  "No."

"Brey, love," he said in his soothing voice.  "Telling him will change nothing."

"It's your secret," she told him.  "If you want him to know, you tell him."

"You are part of it."

"Will one of you tell me what is going on?" Nathaniel asked, interrupting their argument.

"No," Aubrey told him.  "I will not tell you anything.  If Alin would like for you to know, then he can tell you."