Part 27

Chapter 27

From her sleep, she could feel someone watching her.  She could feel someone trying to sneak up on her, but they were a fool if they thought they actually could.  The closer they got, the more awake she became, until, finally, she was alert.  Opening her eyes, she barely had time to see the liquid fly towards her before she threw out her arm and sent it back to her attacker.  When the person simply cursed, she looked at them.

“Ainsely,” she mumbled, while shaking her head.  Nathaniel was still lying next to her.  His chest rose and fell as if he was asleep, but she could not tell for sure.

Her brother glared at her.  “I have been trying to awaken you for quite some time.  Luther, Alin, and I have already been thwarted from our path.  Sand is something I would wish away, no matter what the consequences, and the two glare at one another as if they are waiting for a moment to kill the other.”  She opened her mouth to begin talking, but her brother kept on.  “To think, I disliked Luther because I was jealous that he was attempting to take my sister.  Alin, the man does not even know Luther.”

“Ainsely!” she yelled, making him stop his tangent.  “I love you, you are my brother, but what are you speaking of?”

He dropped down the ground beside her, wincing when his wet clothes picked up more sand.  “As you were sleeping, which you seem to do very often lately, some trap that someone had left captured us.  I have a feeling we are getting closer, there is no other explanations.”

“Then, let us be on our way.  If we are closer, we should be there in a few days’ time.  Once we are finished, everything will be better.”  She attempted to move from her spot, but something kept her in place.  Glancing down at the arm across her stomach, she nudged Nathaniel.  “Wake up.”  When he didn’t move, she got closer to him.  “Wake up!”

He started, throwing his body over hers and pressing down as if to shield her from an attack.  “Where is it?” he asked, frantically glancing around the area.

“I wanted you to wake,” she replied with a smile.  Never had she had a person think of her welfare as Nathaniel was.  The first thing on his mind when he had awoken was her. 

“You succeeded in that,” he mumbled, his eyes locked with hers.  Slowly, they traveled down her face before stopping on her lips.  He leaned forward, and she froze.  Was it wrong of her to want to lean closer to him also?  Closer he got, and the more warm she began to feel.  If he would just press his lips to hers, she knew she would be content.  Just as he was about to seal their kiss, he froze.  “When this is over, I want to renew that contract.  We’re meant for one another, Aubrey.  Whether you realize it yet or not, we belong together.”

Jumping off her, he rose to his feet.  His hand came out to help her up, and she knew it was a sign of some sort.  If she took his hand, it meant more than just a help to her feet.  “Are you positive this is what you want?”

He nodded down at her.  “Our marriage contract was made for a reason, there was a reason it was broken, but there is a reason why it will be made once more.”

“That is?” she asked from her spot on the ground.

The smile on his face warmed her to the bone, made her feel like she belonged.  “That I love you.  Now, up you go.”

Her hand went out to allow him to pull her up. Hugging her close, he pressed a kiss to her forehead before stepping away completely.  She stood there in silent shock.  Surely, the man could not mean what he said.  He did not know her well enough to love her.  “It is the bond,” she reminded him.  “It makes you want to be near me.”

Anger flew into his eyes as he took a step further back from her.  Instant regret hit her, making her want to take back her words, but she didn’t.  It was a logical explanation for the way he felt.

“Aubrey,” a voice said from behind her.

Glancing back, she connected eyes with Alin.  “Yes, Alin?”

He had an uncomfortable look on his face, as if he were not meant to admit something, but decided he had no choice.  “Cora lied.”

“What?” she whispered in shock.

“She lied, Aubrey.  She knows you, and she knows you would not have taken Nathaniel along with you if you did not believe he was bound to you.”

Things began connecting in her mind.  The way Cora was so frightened when she admitted what she had done, the woman wasn’t afraid of what Aubrey would do, she was afraid that her plan would not work.  It was a lie when she had told Aubrey they were bonded.  What else was a lie?

“The part about me causing her harm?” Nathaniel asked in a voice that dispelled all her thoughts of him being involved.

Alin shook his head.  “She said that part was true, but she knew you were meant for one another, that you belonged.  Aubrey would not have let you come along.  She would not have risked your life just to get closer to you.”

“You should have let her chose,” Nathaniel said, taking a step towards Alin.  “For myself, I am happy that you intervened, but now, you have only made it worse.  What happens when she feels trapped, as if you all planned her life for her?  I will be the one to suffer.”

Taking a step forward, she placed her hand on Nathaniel’s arm.  “I am not angry at you.”

“I would hope not,” he said with a small laugh.  “We have only a few days left until this is all behind us.  I will not let you run from me now.”

“And I will not run,” she promised with a nod. 

“Excuse me,” Luther called out, “but there is a matter we need to address which has nothing to do with your feelings.”

“What is it?”

He motioned towards his right, and as Aubrey looked closer, she could see a large castle.  “That is your destination, not as far away as you thought.”

Daisy curled around her leg, bringing Aubrey comfort.  They were wrong; it was not a few days away, it was right there.  It may take them a day to reach the castle, the night to rest, but they would be there by tomorrow.  Aubrey would face the woman who held Aubrey’s curse in her hands.  In only a day, the end of her entire life goal would be upon her.  No matter what, whether she lived or died, she would leave the place being able to tell whichever lie she wished.  She would be free.