37. Lemon Wafers

I crawled out of the bed; my eyes scrunched together, and throat dry and parched. Brandon was on the sofa, letting me take the bed last night. Though couldn't say I didn't need it. After a night full of tossing and turning, and occasionally sneezing, the bed was a mess. Locked up in the bathroom, I stared at my face. It was puffy, red and blotched. Even though I hadn't cried. I shook my head, and splashed the cool water, a shiver running down my spine as it hit my face. I took a ragged breath in, realising that my nose was blocked. Therefore, I attempted to clear it without making too much noise, which was slightly impossible.

The toothpaste cleared the morning breath, and I quickly went over the brushing part. The outer I felt far more presentable, but inside, I was as sick as I could be.

When I opened the bathroom door and went out, Brandon was up, moving around without a shirt. I rolled my eyes. The things I had seen should be enough for me to be compelled to wash my eyes with buckets of holy water. However, I was too far along to care.

"You look like a truck went over you," he whispered in a husky voice, coming behind me.

"Good morning to you too," I replied. I motioned to move away from him, and towards the bed, but his hands came around my waist. The heat of his body enveloped around me, warming my back and insides. He rested his head on my shoulder, inhaling loudly and exhaling even more loudly.

My shoulder tickled as his hair brushed my skin, and I moved them upwards. "Are you going to sleep on my shoulder? Who told you to wake up so early?"

He chuckled, and I felt him move his head, his lips touching the bare of my shoulder. A shiver ran down me, and I moved my shoulder up even further. Quite close to my ears now.

"You were already awake. I'd rather spend time with the real you instead of dreaming about you," he spoke. My face cringed at his words, too sweet and corny for my taste. However, my stomach did a free fall as well. I was having mixed reactions, but really, which drug was Brandon on?

He nestled in inside the crook of my neck for a few more moments, and I let him. That is, before I graciously ruined the moment with my sneeze.

Brandon scrambled back, wide awake and rubbing his eyes. He blinked a few times, taking the situation in. It seemed like the sleepy Brandon was far more romantic than the original one.

"Did you take your medicine?" He stifled a yawn, narrowing his eyes at me.

I opened my mouth, but nothing came out. Brandon gave a displeased sound.

Oops. Guilty as charged.

"I told you to take your medicine. We have the competition tomorrow," he insisted. I hung my head down, embarrassed. It should have been my responsibility, yet Brandon had to practically beg me.

"Sorry, I was just too tired yesterday." I bit my lip, taking a seat on the bed. The duvet covers were crumpled, but it didn't bother me at the moment.

"I should have just forced it in your mouth." He sighed, taking a seat beside me.

"Forced?" I stammered. Brandon turned towards me, a glint in his eyes.

"Yeah. Want me to do it?" He leaned closer, staring into my eyes. "I'll just transfer the cold syrup through my mouth, if you won't take it."

"Ew!" I gulped, heat rising up my face with the intensity of his unwavering gaze. I lightly punched on his chest, to give me some time to breathe and get space. Finally finding my voice, I croaked out, "No, thank you, I'll just drink the syrup myself."

"If you say so," Brandon said, trying to keep a straight face but failing to do so. His gimmick to make me take medicine was so obvious yet I didn't have the courage to contradict him. He sniggered at me, even ruffling my hair as he stood up and walked away.