Friend Zoned {5}

“I’m going to tell him,” I said confidently.

                I frowned. “But what if he doesn’t believe me?”

                My expression hardened. “Of course he’ll believe me. I’m his best friend!”

                “Benji? Are you talking to yourself?” my mom asked, peeking into my bedroom.

                “Yes because I don’t know if I should tell Gideon that the guy he wants to date is an evil genius!” I cried in frustration.

                “Uh…why wouldn’t you tell him?” she asked in confusion.

                “Because what if he doesn’t believe me? He’s head over heels for this guy, and the guy is a conniving little bastard,” I grumbled.

                ‘Well I say you should tell him. It’s better to warn him than to keep quiet,” she said with a shrug.

                “Why can’t Gideon just love me? I’m lovable, aren’t I mom?” I asked desperately.

                “I think you’re lovable,” she said.

                “OH GOD I’M SUCH A LOSER. THE ONLY PERSON WHO LOVES ME IS ALMOST 50,”I cried miserably.

                “You just became a lot less lovable,” she said with a pout.

                “This sucks. I just want Gideon to return my love!” I fell back against my bed and let out a helpless sigh. “But he’s going to end up with Jude and they’re going to fall in love and get married and defy all logic by having three beautiful children!”

                “Benji, just talk to Gideon. If this kid he likes really is bad, you need to warn him. Not because you’re infatuated with him, but because he’s your best friend and he would do it for you,” my mom said.

                “Okay mom,” I said, sitting back up and running a hand through my hair. “But it would be a lot easier if Jude wasn’t always playing a nice guy in front of Gideon. The kid is seriously the spawn of Satan.”

                “Well, dinner is ready, so come on,” she said.

                I got up and followed her out to the dining room. I sat down with her and my dad and we talked as we ate. When we were done, I got ready for bed, anxious for tomorrow.

                                                                                                ***

                I took a deep breath. “Today is the day I tell Gideon the truth about Jude.”

                “Good luck with that,” Sonnet said, rolling her eyes. “He’s probably at his locker.”

                I nodded. “I’ll go tell him now,” I said, clenching and unclenching my fists slowly. It was how I calmed down.

                “I would go with you, but I have to go talk to my math teacher,” Sonnet said with a sigh, pulling me into a one-armed hug. “So good luck Benji.”

                She walked away and I turned and started towards the senior hallway. Spotting Gideon, I started walking towards him.