Friend Zoned {18}

“Absolutely not,” Gideon said flatly.

                “Gideon, we’re going to do it whether you agree or not. So you might as well help us out,” I said.

                “Greyson, it’s too risky!” he snapped. “I want Jude out of hair too, but there has to be some other way to do it. A way that doesn’t use you and Ethan as bait.”

                “Gideon, do you trust me?” I asked, taking his hand in mine.

                “Of course I trust you. But this isn’t about trust. This about keeping you safe,” he said, pulling me close and hugging me. “I don’t want to see anyone get hurt.”

                “But you’re hurt, Gideon. This whole situation with Jude is hurting you,” I said, pulling my head away from his chest and looking into his eyes. “Please, help us do this. We’re doing it with or without you. You’re not going to talk any of us out of it, so don’t even try. Just save your breath and help us. Please.”

                He grit his teeth. “Fine,” he growled. “I’ll help you.”

                “Thank you,” I said, kissing him.

                “But if you get hurt doing this…you or Ethan…” He bit his lip and hugged me tighter.

                “Gideon,” I said gently. “You’re hugging me too tight. I can’t breathe.”

                He loosened his grip on me slightly. “Sorry.”

                I rested my head on his chest, putting my arms around him. We rocked together in silence, my mind racing.

                If things went wrong tomorrow, Gideon would think it was his fault. I had to make sure everything went right, otherwise Gideon would never forgive himself for something that wasn’t even his fault.

                After a while, Gideon headed home. I went to my bedroom and laid down on my bed, my hands folded under my head as I stared up at my ceiling.

                I was doing this for Gideon and Ethan. Because I loved both of them, even if it was in different ways. I didn’t want to see either of them hurt anymore.

                I rolled over and let out a sigh. Was I really doing the right thing? Would this really get rid of Jude?

                I had already gone over my plan with everyone else, and they had all readily agreed. But still…what if Ethan got hurt?

                “Everything will work. Everything has to work,” I mumbled to myself, praying for the best tomorrow.

                                                                                                ***

                The final bell rang and I got up, gathering my stuff and heading out to my locker. Gideon was leaning against it, and he straightened up when he saw me.

                “Last chance to back out,” he mumbled as I neared him.

                “Not happening. Just play along,” I said, casually glancing around the hallway.

                I spotted Jude walking towards us with his friends. His eyes were locked on the two of us, and hate was potent in those black eyes of his.